Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ice_Princess Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Jan 8, 2012, 08:46 PM
    When you dump someone, how do you get rid of the guilt?
    Even perfectly nice people can not be the match. If we're strangers and the conversation isn't generating, etc, nothing against the person, but it was better for us to break up. In their shoes, I would rather break up sooner or later, so I can move on sooner. I did a lot for this person, so I shouldn't feel guilty for dumping them. Yet I do. I don't regret breaking up with them -it's nearing half a year and I'm still glad we're not together. But how do I get rid of this guilt? Please, I want to be able to go to sleep! Have good dreams! Not think about my dumpee every single day, like I'm so used to. Of the people I know, so many think I'm a jerk because I did the dumping. Whether I deserve this guilt (although, hey, now my dumpee is free to find a better relationship and I tried my best) how do I get rid of it?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 8, 2012, 08:52 PM
    Most people don't understand the other side of break ups. There is misery on both sides, that's why break ups suck so much.

Know you did the right thing for yourself, and the guilt will fade after a proper grieving/healing process. It will get better if you give it time.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 13, 2012, 06:29 PM
    I must ask two questions--

After half a year, why are you still strangers?

How did you do the breaking up? Maybe that's a lot of the reason for your guilt.
    Cocokinnut Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Jan 3, 2013, 10:26 PM
    Don't think about his good qualitys. Think of the reason that you dumped him. There must be a reason of course. Just keep thinking that reason and tell yourself "If he was SO great why did I even HAVE a reason to dump him. I didn't really like him that much anyways!" I know, I know 'Easy for you to say!' Well yes it is but that doesn't make me any less right.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Guilt [ 3 Answers ]

What is it with ejacullation and guiltiness? I just can't seem to put my finger on it I love th ebuildup but after I'm spent for like 2-3 minutes I have this surge of a downer?

I need help to overcome my guilt [ 23 Answers ]

After reading a user's problem and the helpful and supportive advices all people gave her.. I could manage to gather my courage to write my problem here in order to get some supportive ways to get over my break up. I had a relation with a guy for about two years we were initially friends and later...

Guilt at having an affair. Years ago, but just like yesterday Guilt Guilt , Guilt [ 5 Answers ]

I got married in 1992 after being with my partner for about 18 months , life was good. I found out I was pregnant, our daughter was born the same year. It wasn't long before I felt lost, alone and just an object that was there to look after and care for our daughter. He probably never meant to be...

Full of guilt [ 6 Answers ]

I've been a nurse for 20 years and thought I made a good one. I liked my patients and treated them like my children. I did a stint at a nursing home through an agency. One of my patients had been sexually molested by another resident(he was alert and oriented) He waited until no one was around and...

Lost with guilt [ 5 Answers ]

I am lost with guilt I have been in this relationship for 8 years almost and he was in the navy for 4 of those years and while he was gone I cheated on him more then once and I was honest with him and he stayed with me and he has not been faithfull either and all we do is fight and he is verbally...

View more questions Search