Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paul06 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2012, 03:31 PM
    Phone jack dead
    I have at least six phone jacks throughout the house. The one in the master bedroom is not working; all the rest are normal. I have no knowledge of the phone system wiring. I did check one of the other jacks and it the same colors are wired to like terminal as in the bedroom. The only difference is the one I checked [working fine] has two wires of the same color to each terminal. I tried a working phone in the bedroom terminal. It also did not work. I bought a new wall jack and installed it without success. I am OK with 110 volt current testing, but have no clue about a phone line. The wires are behind the wall and go up somewhere. Before I start to trace this wiring, I would like to eliminate a possible problem in the wiring near the jack. My jack has four terminals with wires leading from the terminals to the jack input. Colors are Black, Orange, Green, and yellow. From the wall attached to the black is a stripped white/orange wire. To the orange terminal is a stripped white/blue wire. To the green terminal is a solid blue wire. To the yellow is a solid orange wire. Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Paul
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 8, 2012, 03:41 PM
    Have you examined your phone bill? Many have a wiring plan included. If yours does not it still might be best to call in a professional and have then trace the wire. They use radio signals and can follow the wire even behind closed in walls.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2012, 05:12 PM
    Black, orange, green and yellow are odd.
    Black, RED, green and yellow would make more sense,
    Red and green is usually line 1(or white/blue pair if cat wiring) and yellow black pair is line 2(orange/white, white/orange pair)
    You should see about 48 volts DC with the Phone on hook, maybe 6-9 volts off hook(when you pick up a phone)Maybe 90 Volts AC when ringing.

Jan 9, 2012, 05:31 PM
    Thank you
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2012, 06:59 AM
    Did you get it working?
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Jan 10, 2012, 09:22 AM
    Often when you see two pair per screw in one socket, and only singles in another, it means they have tapped into one (the double) to run wires to the next in line. That could mean that the problem is not in the master bedrooms socket but one of the jump wires is loose in the socket that feeds it (double). The socket that feeds the master bedroom is probably fairly close or possibly comes up from the basement. Check all six if you have too, or as mentioned call the phone company. The phone company will charge you for inside diagnostics unless your paying them in your billing for that coverage.

Jan 14, 2012, 07:59 AM
    I was not able to solve the problem. Called in a professional. It is now working. The line was dead. He found two non-used live wires in the telephone box, connected them and connected at the jack. If there were only four wires it would been easier for me to comprehend, but as it turned out the multitude of loose wires turned out to be a blessing. Also with his equipment he was able to trace the wiring. I was unable to do this. Thanks for your help
    Paul
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 14, 2012, 09:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paul06 View Post
    I was not able to solve the problem. Called in a professional. It is now working. The line was dead. He found two non-used live wires in the telephone box, connected them and connected at the jack. If there were only four wires it would been easier for me to comprehend, but as it turned out the multitude of loose wires turned out to be a blessing. Also with his equipment he was able to trace the wiring. I was unable to do this. Thanks for your help
    Paul
    Im glad it worked out for you and thank you for the update. It helps everyone to know the outcome.
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2012, 09:49 AM
    He likely used something like this:

PROGRESSIVE ELECTRONICS 200EP INDUCTIVE AMPLIFIER & TONER MODEL 620 | eBay

Great for Troubleshooting/Tracing wires on Electric/Phone/Alarm,Cars/Boats/Planes, anything with wires.
    What did they charge? Just Curious.

Jan 15, 2012, 04:39 PM
    $50 I am satisfied. My wife loves it as she now has a phone in the bedroom. The repairman is a retired gent. "Keeps his license up to date, and keeps his hands in it.Paul

Jan 15, 2012, 04:46 PM
    $50. I am satisfied. He is a retired telephone repairman who keeps his license up to date. He checked the wiring at the jack and then at the phone box outside. Found dead wires and reconnected live wires hr found in the harness in their place. Yes, he had the equipment necessary. However a person can have all sorts of stuff and not be good at using these "tools"; he was. Enjoyed our chat
    Paul
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 15, 2012, 04:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paul06 View Post
    $50. I am satisfied. He is a retired telephone repairman who keeps his license up to date. He checked the wiring at the jack and then at the phone box outside. Found dead wires and reconnected live wires hr found in the harness in their place. Yes, he had the equipment necessary. However a person can have all sorts of stuff and not be good at using these "tools"; he was. Enjoyed our chat
    Paul
    You made the right decision and it's a win win for both of you. There is nothing worse then having to go behind someone who doesn't know what to do and does it anyway. Lol
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2012, 05:54 AM
    $50 is a fair price.
    You are right about the tools in the right hands.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need to rewire phone jack to match main phone number [ 10 Answers ]

I had 2 phone lines coming into house and recently cancelled 1. I would like to rewire cancelled # phone jack to receive my other number so all house phones will be on the same line.I have been playing around with the switch over. I have looked at the other house jacks and tried to duplicate still...

I want to convert a phone jack to be the main phone jack. How do I do that? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to use the phone jack in my basement to connect my Vonage phone adapter in order to distribute the service to all phone jacks in my house. But I need to convert it to the "main" jack in order for the Vonage signal to be distributed. I was told I should be able to convert this jack to the...

Can a wall phone jack be replaced with a flush jack [ 3 Answers ]

The wall jack currently has some gray pieces already wired however the wires have disintegrated can I cut this off restrip the wire coming out of the wall and install a regular flush jack. If not how difficult would it be to rewire a wall phone jack?

Rewiring my phone jack so that I can have my phone on one and my internet [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting internet in my house and the phone co. said I had to rewirer the line in my bedroom so it would not mess with my other phone line how do I rewire it and do you have a pic I could go by

Rewiring of phone jack [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I am trying to rewire my phone jack so that it is just one line. I am trying to put the white/blue, blue/white lines back on the jack, but they have this plastic tab in the end of them. Can I just snip the wire? Thanks! Robyn

View more questions Search