Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ramandi Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2012, 12:02 PM
    Identifying basement plumbing.
    Hello all,

First off, thank you for providing so much information for the do-it-yourself'er! I have learned a remarkable amount about the plumbing I am looking to do by looking through the Q's and Answers here.

I think I have the pipes here identified, but I would like some confirmation. The attached picture shows the basement rough-in for the bathroom in my sis-in-law's home. I am guessing that:
    #1 is the backflow preventer, and it just needs to remain accessible in the event of a disaster.
    #2 is the drain for the sink.
    #3 is the vent for the sink.
    #4 is the drain for the toilet.
    #5 is the thing I am missing, it should be the rough-in for the tub... Do I need to just knock around on the floor trying to find a thin spot in the concrete covering a box for the drain?

Thanks in advance for the help!

[IMG]ftp://[email protected]/public_html/2012-01-08_11-57-13_310.jpg[/IMG]
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 8, 2012, 01:07 PM
    Ramandi, I can't see the photos, or bring them up. Can you post the actuall photos here?

Jan 8, 2012, 01:37 PM
    Sorry! Took me a minute to realize I was auto-logged into that site... I didn't know it would ask you for a password.

I attached it to this reply, hopefully that will work better.
    Attached Images

Jan 8, 2012, 01:41 PM
    <Sigh> Take 3? This pic actually HAS the numbers on it!
    Attached Images

mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 8, 2012, 02:01 PM
    Did you see the pipes under the concrete before the concrete was poured? This is going to be a tough one to figure without knowing how it was all laid out. Are there any fixtures that drain into #3 from above? If so, that is strictly a drain pipe, and cannot be used as a vent for your basement fixtures.

#1 looks like a floor drain.
    #2, most likely toilet, tub(if roughed for one) and floordrain vent, and will also be use for the sink drain (if this is all wet vented).
    #3 Drain for upstairs bath (looks like there is a fernco just above the tee, so Im guessing the pipe above that was already there?)
    #4 Toilet drain.
    #5 You can surerly go around tapping lighty with a hammer to see if there any voids, but without knowing how this was all laid out, it may take some time to find the dappout, if there even is one.

I would suggest contacting the person that installed the underground plumbing and seeing if they can give you as much info as possible. If you do indeed find a dappout for the tub/shower, then it looks like you should be able to get started on your project. There are a couple ways look at this, but it really depends on if there are any fixuters draining into #3 from above, or if it is indeed the vent for the basement bath.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement plumbing [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to put a sink in the basement. I took out the plumbed in bathroom (done by the previous owner) which was tied into the drain at the terminal end of the vent stack which consisted of a toilet along with a sink and a shower running off the same drain (in that order); the sink was...

Identifying Waste Line in Old House Basement [ 4 Answers ]

In my 100+ year old home there is an obvious cast-iron sewer stack extending through the house--exposed in the basement. There is also a 3" ABS pipe coming out of the slab floor in another area of the basement. This ABS pipe has no vent (even though the kitchen sink currently drains into it). I...

Another Basement Plumbing Q [ 15 Answers ]

I have a home with a walkout basement and a septic system. All the drains in the basement are gravity fed. The basement was plumbed for a bathroom with two 2" drains and a 4" drain. What information do you need from me to explain how to vent this setup? I believe that the drain that is setup...

View more questions Search