Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JMC_itsme Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2012, 06:37 AM
    What is good food
    Dog eats but will not gain weight has been wormed so no worms was hit by a car a couple of weeks ago but is doing fine now
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 8, 2012, 07:01 AM
    Can you tell us more? How do you know he is doing fine? How old is he? Did he lose a lot of weight after being hit, or was this ongoing? How skinny is skinny?

I have fed dogs Science Diet and also Wellness brand kibble. I no longer buy canned food, but mix hamburger, chicken, and fresh vegetables as a substitute (not too much). I put it on top, so that the dogs can have all the kibble they want. They have never overeaten and always leave some kibble. Years ago I heard that if started on unlimited kibble they won't snarf down all they can eat in desperation the way a wolf will. It worked even for my retriever, and those dogs are noted for overeating.
    JMC_itsme Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2012, 07:41 AM
    He is 5 and when I looked over how he should look he is not that far off he was mine and I let my ex keep him in the house we had shared cause he the ex needed him around after I left he did not take the same care as I did!! But I have Butch back with me now and after just a short time you would not believe the difference!! He was checked out so I know he is just sore that goodness!! Thank you for the info
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2012, 08:38 AM
    Dogs will lose weight due to pain. If you never took him in to the vet after the car wreck, then he has probably been living in pain ever since.

Just because his leg isn't dangling from his body, doesn't mean that he didn't get hurt. Bruising can hurt just as much as a broken limb.

If you did take him to the vet and they did nothing, I would have gone to another vet. They should have at least prescribed some pain meds.

Another factor could be change of environment. Even though he knows you, he doesn't know your home. Dogs can stress over simple things like this very easily.

As far as a good food.. I like Innova. It puts good weight on my dogs, they are shiney and don't stink.. However, since your dog is recovering from an injury of some sort, I would try and find a food that is high in fat. I would also talk to my vet that the dog is still eating, but not gaining weight, or gaining weight slowly or losing weight (whichever the issue may be) because keep in mind.. dogs in pain will lose weight. The vet may also be able to give you some high calorie food for him...

Pro plan is another food I like. Its cheaper than Innova by $30 almost... To gain weight on a dog, try the "high preformance" food, I think it comes in a purple labeled bag. Its very high in fat and is typically used for preformance dogs. My mom runs a rescue, and our skinny dogs that are stressed gain decent weight on this food. Its also very palatable and I haven't seen a dog turn it down yet.

Continuous weightloss is nothing to ignore.. I suggest the vet since you know he's been hit by a car.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Good nutritious food. [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best food/recipes for losing weight and being healthy?

Is This Food Still Good [ 2 Answers ]

Well right now I'm starving! And trust me I eat a lot and only weigh 102pouds. But anyway I found some apple cinnamon bars that are still wrapped and I can't really read the date its goes bad. But would it be OK if I ate them and washed it down with a pepsi. And I mean I'm hungry very hungry!...

What is a good dog food [ 26 Answers ]

What dry dog food would you recommend and why. I am looking for a good quality dry food that will bring a nice shine to my dog's coat.

Is it good to mix dry with wet food [ 17 Answers ]

My 6 month old maltese didn't want to eat at the time So I bought some ceaser puppy food And mixed a little bit in with the royal canine puppy food And he ate it all, But can you do that or is it bad?

View more questions Search