Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    muks7 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2007, 11:23 AM
    Spouse Dedctions for H4
    Hi,

I have couple of questions regarding my tax return. Any sort of help will be highly appreciated.

1. I am here in USA on H1 Visa and got married on 10 of Dec 06 and my wife accompanied me to USA on 31 Dec 06. Since we got married in 06 and she was physically here in 06 only (though just few hours before the 1st of Jan 07), can I file joint return and have spouse deductions? OR there is some minimum period she has to stay in USA before I can get spouse deduction?

2. If I am eligible for spouse deduction, do I need to have ITIN (as she is not having SSN)from some office here (If Yes, which one) or just state about my married status in the form.

Thanks and Regards

Mukesh
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 13, 2007, 11:26 AM
    1) You could file jointly even if your wife was still in the home country; wife's physical location in 2006 is irrelevant.

2) Yes, she will need an ITIN. Call the local IRS office to see if they can issue the ITIN.

If you need my professional tax help, contact me at [email protected].

Feb 18, 2007, 03:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by muks7
    Hi,

I have couple of questions regarding my tax return. Any sort of help will be highly appreciated.

1. I am here in USA on H1 Visa and got married on 10 of Dec 06 and my wife accompanied me to USA on 31 Dec 06. Since we got married in 06 and she was physically here in 06 only (though just few hours before the 1st of Jan 07), can I file joint return and have spouse deductions? OR there is some minimum period of time she has to stay in USA before I can get spouse deduction?

2. If I am eligible for spouse deduction, do I need to have ITIN (as she is not having SSN)from some office here (If Yes, which one) or just state about my married status in the form.

Thanks and Regards

Mukesh
    Hi David,

Thanks for your reply. Based upon this reply and reading answers you have given to other people, I understand little bit, but confused for many things. In answer to my question, you mentioned that the physical stay of my wife is irrelevant, but I have read posts where you have talked about SPT for 183 days OR another stay for 31 days in order to define the status.

1. I am an indian citizen and came to United States in Aug 2001 on F1 Visa (Student VISA) and have been filling 1040NR-EZ (all the years for federal tax so far). Which form I will be using this year (keeping in mind that my OPT started on 1st June, my H1 started on 1st Oct and I got married on 10 Dec and my wife joined me on 31st Dec)?

2. What status will I be using for myself and my wife (Resident alien, non resident alien) in order to get maximum deductions?

3. How much deductions I should fill in federal tax return?

4. I was in Massachusetts till June end and came to Pennsylvania in the last week of June, will I be considered a resident for Pennsylvania too?

5. How much deductions I should fill in state tax return?

I know these can be very naïve questions for you, but its quite confusing to me. Thanks for your assistance in this matter.

Feb 18, 2007, 03:49 PM
    Hi David,

Thanks for your reply. Based upon this reply and reading answers you have given to other people, I understand little bit, but confused for many things. In answer to my question, you mentioned that the physical stay of my wife is irrelevant, but I have read posts where you have talked about SPT for 183 days OR another stay for 31 days in order to define the status.

1. I am an indian citizen and came to United States in Aug 2001 on F1 Visa (Student VISA) and have been filling 1040NR-EZ (all the years for federal tax so far). Which form I will be using this year (keeping in mind that my OPT started on 1st June, my H1 started on 1st Oct and I got married on 10 Dec and my wife joined me on 31st Dec)?

2. What status will I be using for myself and my wife (Resident alien, non resident alien) in order to get maximum deductions?

3. How much deductions I should fill in federal tax return?

4. I was in Massachusetts till June end and came to Pennsylvania in the last week of June, will I be considered a resident for Pennsylvania too?

5. How much deductions I should fill in state tax return?

I know these can be very naïve questions for you, but its quite confusing to me. Thanks for your assistance in this matter.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 18, 2007, 06:42 PM
    1) Since you arrived in the U.S. in 2001, your F-1 status (for tax purposes) expired on 31 December 2006. File as a resident alien, filing Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ if you are filing jointly with your wife.

2) File jointly as resident aliens.

3) Standard deduction of $10,300 and personal exemptions of $6,600 ($3,300 each for your wife and yourself).

4) You are part-year residents for BOTH states.

5) Do not know off-hand.

If you need my professional tax help, contact me at [email protected].

Mar 14, 2007, 07:36 PM
    Hi ATE,

I am still debating between 1040-NR and 1040, as IRS office told me that since my F1 got converted to H1 on Oct 1st 06, so I should file 1040-NR (as I don't meet the number of days criteira in US on H1 in 06).

But I have been filing 1040NR-EZ for the last 5 yrs (01,02,03,04,05 tax yrs). I have also heard that if one file 1040NR-EZ for 5 yr, then one need to switch to 1040 (considered resident for tax pupose after 5 yr, though not sure 5 tax yr or 5 physical yr stay). Is that true? If yes, can you please tell me the reference or publication, where its mentioned?

Also in your answer to 1st question that my F1 expired on 31st Dec 06, I just wanted to clarify that my F1 expired on 31st Sep 06 (If that make any difference in your recommendation for selecting the form to be fillled).

Here are my details again, which my hel you to figure out the form

Came to US on F1 on 25th Aug 01
    Filed 1040NR-EZ for 01,02,03,04,05 tax yr
    OPT started on 1st June 06
    F1 expired on 31st Sep 06
    H1 started on 1st Oct 06
    Got married on 10th Dec 06
    Came back to US with my wife (she is on H4) on 31st Dec 06

I will greatly appreciate if you can help me to pick up a form so that I can clarify to IRS people (as I have a strong feeling that I should be treated as a resident for tax purposes now, but don't know the reference to tell them)

Thanks in advance

Mukesh
    taxsearcher Posts: 222, Reputation: 8

Mar 15, 2007, 07:03 AM
    ATE's comment that you have exceed the 5 years as F1 exempt and now are a resident is correct. You should let the IRS people know that you have been on an F1 for more than 5 calendar years and now must count your days for the SPT. You can refer them to publication 519 -- it is very clear.
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 18, 2007, 06:30 PM
    Thanks for the assist, TaxSearcher. I am REAL BEHIND on my posting due to heavy workload!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No ITIN For Spouse [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Problems: 1) No ITIN For spouse. 2) Only 3 days remain to file taxes. 3) worked in 2 states(CA and NC) and I might owe about $10 in NC but will be receiving money in CA and Federal. 4) To claim standard deduction I need to wait until I get spouse's ITIN. One suggestion has been to...

Spouse as dependent? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm filing as "married filing jointly". My wife doesn't have a job and did not earn anything for 2006. Aside from checking the exception for my wife (Form 1040 line 6b) , can I add her in the list of dependents (line 6c) ? Thank you very much.

What category on W7 for Spouse on H4? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife is a dependent on H4, and therefore ineligible to work or to obtain an SSN. She arrived in the US in Dec 2006. For my 2006 return: 1) Does she need to get an ITIN if I want to file as 'married, filing jointly' 2) What category should I choose on form W7? My guess was (e) "Spouse of a US...

H-1b (changed from F-1) with spouse [ 5 Answers ]

Hi Tax Expert, I have some questions for you. 1. I was in F-1 status until June 28 2005, then my status changed to H-1b. I was wondering if I qualify for the residency status for tax purposes this year and file 1040? 2. My wife joined me as my dependent (H-4) on Dec 7 2005. Can I include...

View more questions Search