Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brian1 Posts: 8, Reputation: 0

Jan 7, 2012, 11:46 AM
    Blower motor relay or limit switch?
    I have a problem with my blower motor staying on or blowing continuiously, even when cold and as well when my thermastat is turned off. If I tap my limit switch the fan will shut off. I tested my relay and there was no continuity at that time. However when I pressed the reset several times and tested the relay again there was continuity. The relay is testing and reading continuity now but the blower fan still stays on. I have tested the limit switch (it has two separate units by the way). I am assuming one controls the oil burner cycle and the other controls the fan cycle. They both tested OK. Interestingly enough when I try to switch from manual to auto the fan stays on as well. The thermostat tested OK as well. Any suggestions or thoughts.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 7, 2012, 01:05 PM
    Well, if the fan turns off when you tap on the limit switch, I would think that would be a good item to replace first.

Jan 7, 2012, 03:04 PM
    To mygirlsdad Follow up with Fan limit switch or post
    I want to thank "mygirlsdad" for confirming the answer that I suspected. However I am curious as to weather the relay is weak as well. Should I replace that too? Also while we are discussing the limit switch. Could you suggest where I might locate a limit switch that was made by honeywell originally. The model number is L4068f1003 3 BD (OR A SUSTITUTE that would work). This is related to my earlier post for a limit switch off a Beach model 600 oil fired furnace. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have been searching locally for days and on the internet with no luck. Thank you in advance.
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 8, 2012, 01:00 PM
    Sorry, can't help with that one. I would take the limit to a local heating company and see if they can find a universal (or even exact) replacement. Model and serial of the furnace itself would help them.

Just out of curiosity, can you post some pictures of your limit and relay? I really don't work on oil burners, just don't have any in my area, but many of these components are somewhat universal.

Jan 8, 2012, 02:38 PM
    Thank you again for your help. Here are the pictures of both the limit switch and the relay.
    Attached Images

Plumbing Expert

Jan 8, 2012, 03:03 PM
    That's old school stuff. However, if you can find a heating company that has been around for a while, they should be able to hook you up with the correct universal replacement parts. I still think your limit (which looks like a fan control, and high limit all in one from the first pic) is the issue. You may be able to replace that with a universal honeywell fan/limit control, but I wouldn't know for sure without seeing the system first hand, right? Do you have a good reputable heating company in your area? If so, I got to say, its time to call them in. Or at least see if they can help you get a replacement part. Do know, however, that if you call them in, they may suggest replacing the complete furnace. I know, that sucks, but in this world we live in, it pretty much has come to a throw away world. If we can't fix it, you need a new one mentality. May be hard to find a pro that will have the skills to work on the old stuff (dying breed we are, for sure). I wish you the best of liuck on this, and please let me know how things go.

PS. I wish I could say different, but I don't really think your going to get any great easy fixes online. This ia an older system that would really have to be looked at first hand to see what a person is dealing with. The net will drag you in so many different directions on this type of thing, it will make you dizzy and sick (as Im sure you have found). Don't get me wrong, the web is a great thing, but some things still require hands on expertise. Take care.

Jan 8, 2012, 06:20 PM
    Thanks for all your help and I will let you know how things turn out. I may just bite the bullet and purchase a new unit. Really appreciate your help mygirlsdad. All the best!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing fan motor relay switch with upgraded switch [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I've searched online to locate a replacement fan motor relay switch for an old Fedders propane heating unit in my greenhouse. The replacement should be fairly easy to do, however the part I was needing ( RBM 84-20103-301A) was listed as obsolete and was replaced by (McQuay part #...

Gibson blower motor not running. Unit outside freezes up.what's wrong? Relay Switch? [ 0 Answers ]

We have a Gibson central air and heat pump. Blower quits and unit outside freezes up. If we turn it off for a while everything works okay for a little while. Is the relay switch in the blower motor bad? If so where is it located?

Wiring blower motor relay [ 7 Answers ]

My blower motor relay burned out and I replaced it with a universal relay. It has R, G, W, Y, and C. I got the wiring right for the furnace but I don't know where the wires for the air compressor go. The wires from the compressor are red, white, green and blue. I put the red wire on the W and the...

Blower Motor Relay [ 1 Answers ]

All I want to know is how does a blower motor relay switch work. I have a wiring diagram for a 1005 GMC Sierra and when on hi spped the connetion only goes from one side of the motor to a blower motor relay switch and I need to know how this is suppose to work . So basically all I am asking is how...

View more questions Search