Anar22 Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2012, 07:23 AM
    What is the meaning of this icon?
    I want to know this symbol math
    It is similar to the symbol is equal to
    But contains a third line above
    corrigan Posts: 115, Reputation: 18

Jan 7, 2012, 05:46 PM
    does it look like this -----> . It's a general equivalence relation symbol, that is it's used to indicate an equivalence between the two objects on either side of the relation symbol. The conditions on an equivalence relation are 1) reflectivity, 2) symmetry, and 3) transitivity, so you would need to know the definition of the equivalence in question.

In logic it's used as an equals sign in the metalanguage. That is it's used to mean equals in the everyday language we talk in, and not to be confused with the mathematical structure being discussed. I've also seen it used the other way around. Where did you see it and what context was it in?
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Jan 7, 2012, 06:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by corrigan View Post
    does it look like this -----> . It's a general equivalence relation symbol, that is it's used to indicate an equivalence between the two objects on either side of the relation symbol. The conditions on an equivalence relation are 1) reflectivity, 2) symmetry, and 3) transitivity, so you would need to know the definition of the equivalence in question.

In logic it's used as an equals sign in the metalanguage. That is it's used to mean equals in the everyday language we talk in, and not to be confused with the mathematical structure being discussed. I've also seen it used the other way around. Where did you see it and what context was it in?

Hi corrigan,

Very good explanation. I know Anar22 was asking about mathematics but an example in language might be.

Smith is a bachelor necessarily implies that he is a male. It also necessarily implies he is unmarried.

Smith is a bachelor => unmarried male.

This is off topic and is not related to what you were talking about but it gives me a change to have a whinge about metalanguage in modern educational theory. 'Metalanguage' and 'metacognition' in modern educational theory shows a complete misunderstanding and a complete lack of understanding of the terms. Anyway, I better not go there.

Tut
    Anar22 Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2012, 08:35 AM
    hi every one

What real difference between this code and =?
    And when we use both؟
    corrigan Posts: 115, Reputation: 18

Jan 9, 2012, 03:11 PM
    While I was typing this I also thought of seeing is used in modular arithmetic. For example, . Now that I think about it, that is probably the most popular use for it. Modular arithmetic is used when counting by subsets (usually numbers). So means that 9 and 15 are the same when we count by multiples of 6. to put it another way , where and are integers. So 9 and 15 are both "equivalent" to 3 plus some multiple of 6, but they are not "equal".

I'm not sure what you mean by "real difference". There are many (actually an infinite number) of equivalence relations, equals is simply one of them. The real difference would depend on the definition involved. All something needs to be an equivalence relation is that it satisfies the three conditions I gave you. Let me give you a non-arithmetic example:

Let and be words, and let if and only if they have the same number of vowels. So since they both have two vowels, and since one has two vowels and the other has one vowel. I think the best way to demonstrate the three properties is by example, so
    for reflectivity, .
    for symmetry, implies .
    for transitivity, since and , then .
    So it fits the definition of equivalence relation. I could give you a more rigorous example, but I don't know your level of math.

I could be more helpful if I knew what context you saw . If it was modular arithmetic, I know how much trouble students can have with that. I'll be watching this thread.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Meaning of complete term #include<stdio.h> means meaning of #includewith definition [ 7 Answers ]

Hello this is raman middha I have a problum in one question meaning of #include<stdio.h> Explain it

Volume icon not there? [ 4 Answers ]

My volume icon in my tray is no longer there. I have no sound and can't locate any info including in my control panel. At the bottom right corner, when I open the speaker icon it says "no audio output located". Help!

Can't get to the icon screen [ 2 Answers ]

I have a ( hand me down ) computer that I want to install windows xp on , but I can't , there is a blue screen that is asking (Insert card or press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to begin). When I press Ctrl-Alt-Delete it ask for user name and password (which I don't have ) , so therefore I can't get off the blue...

No Sound and ICON gone [ 3 Answers ]

I have done everything suggested to me and I still have NO SOUND. When I 'rolled back" as was suggested it took away my SoundMax2 and won't reinstall it, also my volume icon in the tray is gone I tried the sndvol132 no luck. I have restored to a new restore point. Bottom Line I cannot get...

View more questions Search