Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kappa821 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2007, 10:13 AM
    Engineering Career Move
    All right lets see if someone can make the decision for me since I have no clue it its worth it or not.

I am 23 Electrical Engineering degree with EIT and work in New Jersey for a consulting firm making 55

I have a job offer to work in New York city for 65, it's the same kind of work

Is the extra 10 g's worth it for the extra commute.

Also is 65 a good offer to work in the city
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2007, 03:35 PM
    Hi Kappa! Wow, if I only had your problem when I was 23! ;)

Nice position to be in. First, at your age, $55K is a good salary to be making in NYC, let alone $65. Could you get a higher offer at another company? Possibly.

There are a few questions that we need to get out of the way.

How far away from your current job do you live? What are your expenses to get there?

How far away from the NYC job will you be living? How will you commute? What will be the expenses of that commute?

Working in NYC, you will have to pay an additional tax - NYC non-resident tax. It is something that you will be able to take credit for against your Jersey tax return.

What are the benefits offered at your current company?
    What are the benefits offered at the new company?

Let me know about the questions, and I will try to help you think this through. Sound reasonable?

Feb 14, 2007, 07:31 AM
    Current Job details:
    12 miles away each away 30 minute commute
    I don't pay for any health care, but don't have dental
    No 401k

New Job Details:
    I would have to commute by bus 150 per month and probably an hour each way from getting on the bus to desk on a decent day
    I have to pay a little for health care and dental, but they give me free eye exams and glasses which are helpful since I wear glasses

That's about it I just don't know mostly because I feel the money is good but at the same time I feel I could get about 60 from a firm in New Jersey so

I have an interview with a jersey firm at the end of the week so hopefully that goes well and see what they offer

Thank you for the response
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2007, 07:50 AM
    Anytime Kappa. Let's wait until the Jersey interview. This might be a decision that you can make very easily once you get through the new interview. If it becomes even more of a difficult decision, come back to this posting and let me know what happened and what the new firm is offering and then we can take it from there. When you respond to your original posting, I will get an email telling me you have responded.

Good Luck!! I hope you get offered a job, at higher amount, and it will be a no brainer! :)
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2007, 07:53 AM
    You could take the 65k offer to your current employers and say "this offer is very tempting to me, what do you guys think?" *wink*

Then I'm sure they will make the decision for you :p

Feb 14, 2007, 07:58 AM
    What I am doing at my current job is giving me a feeling that I am will be going nowhere... I am doing more mechanical design then electrical... so staying here is being ruled out that decision has been made but thanks
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2007, 08:07 AM
    Okay it's good that you are following what you enjoy doing, and not just the money :)

Feb 14, 2007, 08:11 AM
    Well yea and also a little bit of both of course

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Engineering drawing [ 3 Answers ]

Short question and answer about engineering drawing

To move or not to move - Tub Drain [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, I am installing a 72" soaker tub into a properly roughed in basement bathroom. The soaker tub's drain is not in the traditional spot and is positioned in the middle of the length of the bath. I have a 2" snub up located about 24-30" from where my tub drain will sit. Do I have to cut up...

System engineering [ 3 Answers ]

What is the system engineering hierarchy and what does information engineering means?

View more questions Search