Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pandorah34 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2012, 05:35 PM
    Can I claim deceased husband's son on 2012 tax returns?
    My husband died in March. I plan on filing jointly and would like to claim his son as a dependent also. I believe it is my right as this would have been his fathers year to claim him via court. His mother insists that I have no legal rights since the father was incapable of contributing towards his sons support for part of 2010 and 2011 and says she will be claiming son. I should also note that the child lives with his mother full time. Should I claim him anyway?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 5, 2012, 08:49 PM
    No, you can not claim the child.
    Only the custodial parent can claim the child.
    pandorah34 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2012, 04:42 PM
    Are you sure? She agreed that the father could claim his son every odd year. This is his year. It is in the court papers I have right here. He was still alive for part of 2011. This doesn't seem right to me.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 6, 2012, 10:11 PM
    Pandorah34:

The divorce decree is a legal document that invokes legal and contractual obligations, but YOU are NOT a party to those obligations. Your deceased husband's rights and obligations did NOT transfer to you on his death. Note that I am NOT a lawyer, but this is my understanding of the law in this case.

It would be better if you posted your question in the LAW forum and get an opinion of an attorney who practices in Texas.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 7, 2012, 11:57 AM
    Noncustodial parent can claim the child only if the custodial parent signs a release form 8332. If noncustodial parent claims a child, she/he will not get earned income credit or child tax credit for claiming the child. Noncustodial parent will only get exemption deduction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Deceased Husband's Debt [ 5 Answers ]

My husband died about a month ago and I have been going through our bills. He has no estate. He has some credit stuff that needs to be taken care of(that is in his name only. My name is not on anything.) Do I have to pay these bills?

Deceased husband's 401k [ 4 Answers ]

My husband passed away last year at age 42. He may or may not have a 401k, but I have no way of knowing. It was a controlling relationship and he had all that information. We separated right before he passed away, and his sister took all of the important papers. I have contacted 2 employers... one...

Why am I responsible for deceased husband's debts [ 1 Answers ]

Why is community property only considered community when it comes to paying the debt? My husband had his own credit cards, I couldn't use them. He passed away, and the creditors want me to pay them, they're shouting community property, although I can't and couldn't use them in California ...

Parental Right To Claim Son on tax return. [ 4 Answers ]

Please help me somebody! My so just turned 2 years old. I pick my son up on Friday nights because of my crazy work hours. I have my son until Monday afternoon then I go to work. I make sure he has everything he needs like a good father should. Seems cool right? WRONG! My sons mothers greedy as...

Can I claim my absentee kids on my tax returns? [ 3 Answers ]

My3 kids (15, 12 &7)live with my ex in Africa. Although they have never been in America before, a sizeable part of my income is remitted to them for their upkeep. Can I claim them when I file my taxes?

View more questions Search