Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kaosouayang Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2012, 04:34 PM
    Why is the middle part of the back seat the safest for a child safety seat?
    Need as soon as possible
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2012, 11:37 AM
    Less chance of contact from accidents just from simple location of being away from front and sides of vehicle.

It is also important to note that babies and young children should remain facing the rear for as long as possible (with the limits set by their safety seat). When purchasing a car-seat, look for one that allows the child to be facing the rear for the heaviest possible weight before the seat needs to be turned around. While laws may allow a car-seat to be turned sooner, by age and weight, rear-facing is still safer for as long as the weight limit allows.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 7, 2012, 12:12 PM
    Agree 100 percent, it protects from side impacts and other directional best.

I will also say to follow the instructions exactly. I used.. to help with safety checks on car seats at safety events, almost one in four was not installed properly
    x19dave Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2012, 09:29 AM
    It is not the best place if you only have a lap belt, if you get pulled and there are other spare seats in the car you will be asked to move them it happened to me
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2012, 04:17 PM
    x19dave... did they give you a reason for asking you to move it? Was this a rear-facing seat, a forward-facing seat, or a booster seat?

Unless there was a reason why the seat wouldn't fit properly in the middle or it was not able to be secured tightly in that location, the person who told you to move it simply because of a shoulder-belt available in one of the side seats was incorrect in doing so.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2012, 11:27 PM
    Police are not properly trained in carseat safety (as a CST) neither are most doctors.

A lap belt only does not make the seat less safe. A lap belt only is less safe for a child in a booster or an older child without any safety seat. But a carseat installed into the car makes no difference.

The middle is also the safest in many cars (not all) because some cars have indented, or 'bucket' seats, on the side seats. The center is generally more level, and allows for a tighter install.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lebaron back seat [ 1 Answers ]

How do I remove the back seat from a 1989 chrysler lebaron

Seat is stuck in bathtub hot water and middle Shower turner and I NEED TO GET IT OUT! [ 16 Answers ]

The seat is worn smooth on the inside of the Hot water and the shower turner. It is a 50s house with pfeister stem and seat. The seat remover is useless. Someone on another post said for the shower spray they used a screwdrive and wedged it in and turned. What size screwdriver and how do I get one...

Child booster seat [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me... I was looking a booster seats for my son I have a nice one for my car but my dad puts one in his truck but the back seat does not have a shoulder belt just a lap belt so I was wonder those backless booster seats if I could use it with just a lap belt.....

View more questions Search