Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mansugi Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2004, 08:32 AM
    220v wiring.
    Hello,

I am wiring a vacuum pump for a vacuum-form table to a 220v. 3 wires coming of the wall - black and red (I assumed are hot) and white (neutral). I also have a vacuum switch (installed between the pump and the tank) and a main switch (to turn the table on and off).

The pump wiring diagram has a L1 and L2 posts. I guessed that will take the 2 hot wires. So where should I connect the neutral wire.

Since I plan to wire the whole set up in a loop, I assumed the vacuum switch and the main switch will only take one of the hot wires. Is that correct?

Let me know if my description doesn't make sense.

Please help.

Thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2004, 08:49 AM
    Usually if a 3 conductor with ground cable is used, it is for an appliance with both 200 and 110 components. The red and black are connected as L1 and L2 to the 220 v components. Either or both may be broken by a switch to control the circuit. A 2 pole switch provides a complete disconnect in the off position. Either the red wire or the black is connected to the hot side of any 110 component, and the white to the other side. Usually there is a bare ground wire connected to any metal housing of switch frame. If nothing except the 220 V vacuum pump requires electricity, I don't think you use the white wire. If a switch only has 2 contacts, just run the red or black wire through it. Post back if I haven't answered your question.

Nov 16, 2004, 09:06 AM
    So let me know I understand your explanation.

See diagram on the pump.

Black wire goes to L1. Red wire goes to vacumm switch to main switch to L2. White wire goes to neutral/ungrounded post on the pump.

OR

Black goes to L1, red goes to L2 and white goes to vacuum switch to main switch to neutral/ungorunded post on the pump.

Thanks
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Nov 16, 2004, 09:56 AM
    The diagram was hard for me to read. I think it was instructions for running the motor on 110 or 220. Connect the wires in the motor as listed under high and then the black wire goes to L1. Red wire goes to vacuum switch to main switch to L2. Leave the white wire unconnected at the pump motor. Just use it if something else needs 110.

Nov 16, 2004, 08:25 PM
    Hello,

Here I post the diagram again.

I thought the red and black are hot wires and the white is neutral. So to complete the circuit we have to some how connect the white wire.
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Nov 16, 2004, 09:10 PM
    Your latest picture is even smaller. Unless you have both 110 and 220 components, you only need 2 wires plus a ground. Many 220 appliances such as hot water heaters and air conditioners only have 2 wires plus the ground. Motors that can run on either voltage, still only use 2 wires on either voltage.

Nov 16, 2004, 09:20 PM
    What do you meant by 2 wires? 2 hot wires (combine both the red and bLack) to one post L1 and the white wire to L2. L1 also said ungrounded wire.

OR

Connect black to L1 and red to L2 - don't use the white wire.

This pump can be wired to 110 or 220v.

Thanks
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2004, 12:45 PM
    OR

Connect black to L1 and red to L2 - don't use the white wire.

This pump can be wired to 110 or 220v.

Yes. To wire the pump for 220, connect the various colored pump wires as listed in the high column in the diagram.
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Jan 2, 2005, 08:03 PM
    If you have doubts you can bring the pump to a pump shop and have them wire it up for you (if possible).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

220v to 110v [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing an electric stovetop. The one I removed had 4 wires.. red, black,white, and bare copper. The new one has 3.. black, red, and bare.. from what I have read here, the old system is a 220v/110v system... I assume that I hook up red to red, black to black, bare to ground. How...

220V Needed? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, all. I am having electrical outlets put in a garage. 8 total. 60 AMP breaker box installed. I have 2 right now that are separate, one for a frig and one for a window AC unit. I am thinking about buying a window AC/Heating unit. The specs are below: Cooling Capacity 12,000/11,200...

220v to 110v [ 2 Answers ]

How do I wire a 220v circuit to accept a 110v plug and play spa?

220v 50a welder, 220v 30a dryer plug [ 1 Answers ]

I just got an arc welder that is 220v 50a. I thought I could plug it into the 220v receptacle in my garage, not realizing how many different types of 220v plugs and amperages there are. The receptacle in my garage turns out to be a 220v 30a dryer plug. My question is can I just change the...

Is 220V better than 110V? [ 5 Answers ]

My pool pump is running at 110V. I noticed that I can change the wiring position and run it at 220V. Someone at work mentioned that 220V is more efficient. Would I see a savings on the electric bill? Is this true? The wires now are 12 gauge. Could I just change the breaker and the...

View more questions Search