Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joju11 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2004, 04:49 PM
    New switch
    HELP I've been to both Lowe's and home depot and no help yet.

I'm installing a new switch and two new outlets both outlets to be energized at the same time. I've run three new 14/2 wires into the attic and joined them in a junction box I ran a new wire into an existing hot outlet which has two blk and two what wires my new wire goes back to new junction box all are blk to blk and what to what this blows breaker I'v also tried my new white switch wirw back to the new blk outlet wires this also blows breaker .

I would appreciate an help.
    joju11
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2004, 09:28 PM
    I don't quite see how that would happen. Did you carefully connect the white wires to the silver screws and the black to the brass? Otherwise, one of the black wires must be touching something it shouldn't. Look over everything carefully. If you don't see any problem, disconnect all the new wires. Reconnect them one by one, turning the breaker on each time to see if you still have the problem. Once you isolate the problem, then check everything over carefully.
    gaffer15 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2008, 09:38 AM
    Sounds like the switch is shorting the circuit. When the switch is off does the breaker trip? Or only when the switch is on?
    Switch legs (the black/white cable going into the switch) are an exception to the color to color rule.
    Home Depot or the library have books that illustrate the different ways to wire an outlet to a switch. It depends on whether the switch is closer to the source of power or the outlet.
    But look for an illustration that shows how to connect the WHITE wire to the Black wires.
    Generally the white wire going to the switch connects to black wires from power and the white wire from power connects to all the other white wires. Then the black wire from the switch connects to the black wires going to the outlets.

Does this help?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Networking Switch 2 Switch [ 2 Answers ]

I have 2 buildings I want to network together. They are currently being linked by 2 hubs but I would like to replace them with switches. Is there any known performance issues with linking switches together. (e.g. Bandwidth is less on the uplinked switch) I think I already know the answer but I'd...

Gfi with switch [ 5 Answers ]

I want to replace my bathroom receptacle with switch (for overhead lite) with a gfi w/switch. My source hot line comes in with a 2 wire line (black/white). The line in the wall has a 3 wire line (black/white/red). What is the proper way to wire the line side of the gfi and the load side? I want the...

Switch question [ 15 Answers ]

Hi, I have been looking for hours and still could not find a switch I want. I need a Slide Switch, BUT instead of when you switch it it clicks, I want it to gradually (slide) move. Let’s make this simple and let’s say I have 2 motors and a battery. I want the battery wired in the middle and...

Limit Switch - Pressure Switch [ 0 Answers ]

Hello Folks, This weekend I've been playing with a heating system at my new apartment and I'm trying to figure out what the different componets do. I kind of followed the circuit but still have some missing links... 1-There are some terminals on the furnace's circuit board labeled LIMIT. The...

How do I switch from MS-DOS to WIN '98 [ 3 Answers ]

Hello: I recently chose MS-DOS option when starting my IBM laptop (has Windows '98), and do not seem to be able to go back to Windows 98 view? Each time I turn my laptop on, I keep getting the c:/windows/ line, and I have no idea what I need to type in? Please help! Thanks a bunch! Tio

View more questions Search