Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mamhay Posts: 0, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2012, 10:40 AM
    Is the Bible the "word of God"?
    Is the bible the word of God? Who said that?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2012, 11:41 AM
    Christians believe that the Bible is the "Word of God". It has been said and taught by the followers of Jesus for about 2000 years.

It is impossible to list "who said it", so can you be more specific about what you are seeking or looking to have answered?
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2012, 02:38 PM
    The Bible itsself refers to itsself as the Word of God Hebrews 4:12
    English Standard Version (©2001)
    For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2012, 07:55 AM
    Hebrews 4:12 could not have been speaking of "The Bible" as we know it today because it was written before the Christian community defined what is considered Scripture.

So logically speaking, one cannot say "The Bible is the Word of God because it says so in the Bible".

Early Christians were relying on the books that we call the Bible as soon as those books were written, but it was not until 367AD that the Christian Church, for the most part, accepted and relied on the books of the Bible (as Christians now recognize them) as "The Word of God".

So in summary, as I said earlier, there are thousands and thousands of Christian leaders and teachers - in the past couple of centuries, who have said that "the Bible is the Word of God".
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2012, 02:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ View Post
    Hebrews 4:12 could not have been speaking of "The Bible" as we know it today because it was written before the Christian community defined what is considered Scripture.

So logically speaking, one cannot say "The Bible is the Word of God because it says so in the Bible".

Early Christians were relying on the books that we call the Bible as soon as those books were written, but it was not until 367AD that the Christian Church, for the most part, accepted and relied on the books of the Bible (as Christians now recognize them) as "The Word of God".

So in summary, as I said earlier, there are thousands and thousands of Christian leaders and teachers - in the past couple of centuries, who have said that "the Bible is the Word of God".
    So by your definition prophesy is the only reliable word of God, but the Bible does not say prophesy is the word of God. In fact it gives a lower level of surity to prophesy. The Scriptures, at least the Old Testament form, had been available for a very long time before the christian church defined its canon so you cannot say that the word of God was not available. Paul also assures us that all Scripture is useful long before the canon was formed. The Scripture is not determined by the actions of man to define what is the word of God.
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2012, 05:47 AM
    I never said anything about prophecy and I never used the word reliable.

So in summary to the two questions originally asked:

Q: is the bible the word of God?
    A: I believe so, as all Christians are taught to believe.

Q: who said that [the Bible is the Word of God]?
    A: Thousands of Christian leaders, writers and teachers have said and taught that the Bible is the Word of God over the past 1800 years or so.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

Why do you believe that the bible is the literal word of God? [ 7 Answers ]

For those people that believe that the bible is the literal word of God, I have a couple questions. 1) Why do you believe that? Isn't it more likely that some man simply made it up and TOLD people that it was the word of god? And not to press this too much, but if it were the literal word of...

If the Bible is "The Word of God" then... [ 10 Answers ]

Which version of The Word is correct. Now the main problem here is that, as with many manuscripts, The Bible has been transcribed many times down through the ages. This article got me thinking: Source: BBC NEWS | The rival to the Bible Now there are two referenced Ancient Bibles in...

How do I use the word "abide" or "bide". [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Guys! I am attempting to write a poem. The closing line is " I shall find better suited tenants to abide my house." Is my use of "abide" correct, or should it be "bide" or even "abode." Thanks in advance for your help!

Word XP - Tab/ruler measurement is "ch". What is "ch"? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Guys I'm actually an advanced Word user but I'm scratching my head over what seems to be a very basic (but frustrating) issue after recently installing Word XP/2002. :confused: Note: I'm in Australia so I use metric. If you're using inches, 1.27cm = 1/2 inch. Not that it matters! I've...

View more questions Search