Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    conexxions3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2007, 07:15 PM
    Bankruptcy and workers comp settlement issue
    Ok, first, I'm screwed.

I owe the IRS 62K, plus I owe tons of creditors. I'm now at the point of being 100% disabled, will be going out in less than 2months. I live in South Carolina. I am going to file chapter 7, I believe ill pass the means test OK because my disability income will be half of what I made (still less than 43k for two people).

BUT, I am expecting a workers compensation settlement in about 6-9 months. I have no clue what ill get.

If I get the settlement before I finish bankruptcy, can they take all the settlement? I will have the IRS debt discharged (its older than 3 years) and almost at the 10 year statue also. BUT, my creditors would love to get their hands on ANYTHING like that for sure.

I will be a no-assett case, no house. Only one truck I own (20 years old), and a car I'm still paying for (about 3K in equity that I've paid to the dealership).

We sure need that settlement to get on our feet again and start over fresh. I've tried to make it now over 8 years, but I just can't do it anymore with the impending disability.

Any sound advice would be appreciated!

Jim
    JROGERSP Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2008, 08:36 PM
    You should also check the statue of Limitations on your creditors, A lot of states have a 3 or 4 year limit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Auto Accident: Damage Settlement not Injury Settlement [ 13 Answers ]

Hello all and thank you in advance for your kind answers. My Girlfriend was involved in an accident in November. Here are some key points about the event. 1. Accident Fault - Fault was clearly the other driver Documented in the Police report. 2. Vehicle is currently financed - In both of...

Can you reopen a Workers Comp Case? [ 3 Answers ]

I was hurt at work over 2 yrs ago and went to court 2 yrs later. My lawyer didn't supena any of the witnesses I gave him. The other parties that were for the other side lied. Needless to say the judge denied my claim. My lawyer told me that to appeal the case I would never win, so I tried doing...

Can I file bankruptcy on divorce settlement? [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks to my horrible lawyers (the 3rd ones I hired) I ended up having to sign a crappy settlement agreement and now I don't want to pay the case or take on the credit card and can't pay in the time frame allowed. Can I file bankruptcy on the cash I'm supposed to pay my ex? What about the credit...

A lien on a workers comp case... [ 4 Answers ]

If the father of a 13 year old boy receives workers comp and doesn't pay Child Support, there is a lien against his case but how long until I receive any asst from him?

Bankruptcy & insurance settlement, inheritance [ 2 Answers ]

I began the process of filing for bankruptcy - saw a lawyer, did the paperwork, paid him. I'm now in the process of doing the education certificate and other requirements. My car was totaled two weeks ago, and the insurance company will be settling for the total loss -- it's not a huge amount,...

View more questions Search