Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Snowdog Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2004, 02:47 PM
    Monitor screen shakes
    Can anyone help me. My monitor sits about 2 or 3 feet from the main eletrical box in the house. When anything turns on in the house, such as a dishwasher, furnace.. etc, the screen starts to shake. I do have a second computer which sits about 7 feet from the box and that screen does not shake. I switched the 2 monitors and the screen stopped shaking on the one and started on the other. If u understand what I am saying. I was wondering if there was anything I could buy to make a shield to put over the box to stop the shaking?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2004, 09:19 PM
    Are you using a surge protector? A good one should screen out power line disturbances. You can easily add a filter yourself. Just a couple of 0.001 mfd ceramic capacitors between the ac line wires and ground may do it. Next step up is a 50 mH RF choke in each wire plus the capacitors. You may want to try to route the power cord as far from the electrical box as possible. You can easily tuck the components in an ordinary power strip.
    urmod4u Posts: 248, Reputation: 4

Nov 16, 2004, 05:13 AM
    The shaking is caused by the magnetic field (not by PLD - Power Line Disturbances - "surges") that is generated around wires carrying an important current. The field can be screened with a heavy iron cabinet, but you probably will more easily install your computer elsewhere.

Nov 16, 2004, 02:04 PM
    Yes I tired the power line stuff. It is on a surge protector that is plugged into a different room. I will try the iron shield. I live in a basement apt and this is basically the only spot I have to put this computer, I have 2 comps. The electric box itself is behind a wooden cabnet> I will try adding a slab of iron to the inside of the door. Ty very much for your help. The shaking doesn't seem to be noticeable when I play mmorg games though like Everquest but as soon as I shut the game off you can see it.
    urmod4u Posts: 248, Reputation: 4

Nov 16, 2004, 03:32 PM
    Hmmm, good luck. My experience is that it is not easy to get rid of magnetic fields. A shield inside the door may help, but normally you would need a closed cabinet. Note that all shields must be connected to ground. Don't forget the cables that go in and out of the box either.

Nov 16, 2004, 03:40 PM
    Gahhh I guess I can deal with it. They way the apartment is built I can not get it complete to the ground or top. I have a sub floor and drop ceiling. But non of the wires run lower than the box itself and hopefully the top is far enough in distance from the monitor. Ty again for your help
    MagikPoo Posts: 59, Reputation: 2

Nov 17, 2004, 05:41 PM
    Urmod4u is absolutely right but...
    Hay I hope I'm not interuping but this I a cheep any easy way to stop screen futter, a faraday cage, its just a grounded wire mesh cage aslong as you can put that between your monitor and the power sause then your in good busenss, If I were you so your reasurch before attempting to shield your PC form harm

MagikPOO OUT!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Monitor colors faded (Monitor color problem) [ 5 Answers ]

I have an envision flat screen monitor and the issue is I had a worm on my computer so I had to reboot it.When the startup came up the colors were faded in a blueish light hue . I updated the drives but still nothing worked. I don't know if it's the monitor or vga cable or just the video card in...

Monitor screen [ 2 Answers ]

My monitor screen is shaking, though I'm seeing the images. I later had a burn smell from it.Pls, help.

How to Prep & Paint Cedar Shakes [ 7 Answers ]

Hi. We moved into our house last summer and need to paint it this year. It has cedar shakes which are in very good shape. Lots of peeling on everything other than the shakes though. Can anyone offer advice on how to prep and paint cedar shakes? For example, do I need to scrape, prime, then...

Having a problem moving my address bar from bottom of screen to top of screen [ 11 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I can't seem to bring up an address bar at the top of the screen because when I right click at the top of the page, the options are not lit up. I could only bring up an address bar at the bottom. Since it gets in the way at the bottom, I would like to know if anyone can help me...

Monitor screen blank [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Dell Dimension XPS-B533r. The PC starts, but beeps three times. The power button on the PC is not lit but the fan is running and there is an orange light on the cpu that is lit. The monitor turns on but the screen remain black. The status light on the monitor is flashing green. The monitor...

View more questions Search