Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    modernromance09 Posts: 93, Reputation: -1

Jan 2, 2012, 01:33 AM
    How to become a vegan
    I have been a vegetarian for almost four years now, but have been wanting to become a vegan for the past year or so. I just couldn't bring myself to do it because it sounded so expensive and time-consuming, but a couple days ago I went to a doctor and got some tests done and found out I am gluten intolerant and lactose intolerant, so now I don't really have a choice. I have had very bad stomach problems since I was little I just never knew what the problem was, and now that I know I can change it I would really like to. So, I was wondering how I could go about my new diet/lifestyle. What kind of foods are out there for gluten intolerant vegans? Are there any websites out there that could be helpful to me? I still live at home and my parents are not willing to pay large amounts of money for food so money is definitely an issue which makes me wonder if this will even work.
    modernromance09 Posts: 93, Reputation: -1

Jan 2, 2012, 01:47 AM
    I also cannot have soy.
    BeccaG Posts: 5, Reputation: 0

Nov 8, 2012, 07:41 AM
    I also have digestive issues and recently decided to go vegan again myself. I was a vegan when I was a teenager for a year or so, but did not have the cooking skills or discipline to eat properly. I happen to love rice, which makes it somewhat easy. The best thing to do is learn how to make baked brown rice as a staple food, and top it with all different kinds of bean, lentil and vegetable dishes! I always make big pots of said dishes and use them throughout the week. Here are a few recipies I used constantly. Anytime something calls for butter, I used a bit of olive, canola or coconut oil (coconut oil is pricey and really good for you, but your parents should have olive oil on hand if you can't afford it)

Mum's Everyday Red Lentils Recipe : Aarti Sequeira : Recipes : Food Network

Baked Brown Rice Recipe : Alton Brown : Recipes : Food Network

City Kitchen Chronicles: Curried Apple & Lentil Dal

I hope that gives you a place to start! Don't forget to stir in a handful of shredded dark greens (kale, spinach, swiss chard or collard greens all work well) for extra nutrients!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vegan Nutrition And Meals. [ 8 Answers ]

Hey everyone! I wated to ask about Vegan Nutriton and what the pros and cons are. My boyfriend has recently started A vegan diet for a month but he's not doing it perminantly. The only problem is that hehas veggie issues and doesn't like to cook. Any ideas?

Vegan Diets? [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to learn more about a vegan diet. Is there a really good website that you know of? I have many questions! Is is safe? What studies show that it is, or is not? What vitamins do you take on a vegan diet? And what do you do if you are going to eat at a restaurant! (red lobster!) Do...

Vegan can't lose weight. [ 7 Answers ]

According to a BMI calculator I have 27 pounds to lose My husband and I decided to go vegan for health reasons. I don't eat un-healthy. I home cook all but maybe 1 or 2 meals a week. I have not eaten any cheese, dairy, meat, etc for a nearly a month. I don't just eat potatoes I make sure that my...

Vegan Marble Cake [ 1 Answers ]

I wish I thought to ask sooner... I am throwing a surprise get together for my girlfriend on Wednesday and want to bake her favorite cake, marble cake. My girlfriend is also very much lactose intolerant and so I plan on making a vegan marble cake with non-dairy icing and in the shape of a big...

View more questions Search