Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    victor320 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2007, 04:53 PM
    My supervisor has its favorites
    My Supervisor is always raising her voice at mainly everyone, Except for 2 ladies who seem to be her favorites because they always bring her food, is this appropriate?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2007, 05:05 PM
    Victor,

It is never appropriate to yell in the workplace. But, unfortunately, people do it.

It is never appropriate to use "bribes" such as food, to ensure that you don't get yelled at. But, unfortunately, people do it.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2007, 05:11 PM
    Since I just noticed that you placed this in the law category, am I correct to assume that you want to know if this is illegal or an actionable cause? If that was the reason you asked the question, the answer is no.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2007, 05:39 PM
    No it is not appropriate to yell at employes and no, it is not appropriate to favor someone because they bring goodies for the boss. The yelling is harassment and the accepting bribes is discrimination.

If you really want to pursue this - start documenting everything you see and hear - dates, names, etc. But do not keep that journal at your work - it can be found and used against you. But I will tell you it is tough to prove. Do any others feel as you do or said the same things you feel? There too, that can be tough. Because there always seems to be the one person who kisses the behind and you can guess the rest.

Most likely it is best to just do your job, mind your business, and stay away from what looks liike office politics as much as you possibly can.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 12, 2007, 05:55 PM
    I will agree to disagree, while is it not appropriate to treat anyone different it is not illegal at all unless it is done for race, religion or other reasons.

And no yelling is not harassment it is merely a poor management style and taking food is not bribes, I am sorry but trying to say it is bribes is silly.

Be glad to have a job or quit and find out life is not fair no where you are going to work.

So what about minding your own business and doing your job and not worrying about what others are work are doing.

But no there is nothing illegal going on and anyone trying to say there is will only get you into more trouble when you start to cause it.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2007, 11:49 AM
    Hello victor:

Is this the same restaurant that you just started working in?? Probably, because the restaurant wants you to work 12 hours a day, so there isn't time for another job.

So, uhhhhhh, you work in a restaurant... Don't waiters bring food to people?? You would have us believe that people bring food from home to give to your supervisor.. I don't think anybody brings food to work when they work in a restaurant.

You just started. How do you know that your supervisor is "always" raising her voice?

I don't know what's more important to you - having a job or being right. If you call the health department and the restaurant is closed, you don't get ANY paycheck (or the cash either). They gave you a job, and you want to sue them??

You're probably not a fellow who needs a job very badly. You're probably white.

excon
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2007, 01:14 PM
    While I still believe that yelling at an employee is a form of verbal harassment, I will stand corrected on the bringing food to the boss to ingriate one's self and become a favorite and be treated as a favorite. I just know what I was taught when I became "the boss". But I also know nothing in life is fair - and workplaces are a prime example.

So Victor, if you really have a problem and cannot resolve it, look for a better job.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IE Favorites [ 1 Answers ]

My IE favorites menu selection is displaying folders from the Windows folder. How to I change it. It will not let me delete.

Favorites [ 2 Answers ]

How can I place a short cut on the desktop for the Favorites list?

Attributes of a Supervisor [ 7 Answers ]

Hello Everyone! I would like you to think of a particular boss, manager, supervisor, or any other workplace personnel that were/are above you that you felt/feel are very good. What attributes/qualities does this person have that makes them good in your opinion? What qualities would enable...

Problems with my supervisor... She used to be a good friend! [ 6 Answers ]

I need some advice please! Well I have been working with this girl for a year. We got along really really well. We even look the same, everyone mistakes us for each other and we like the same things. Anyway our boss left, and since she has the most experience she has been promoted as my...

View more questions Search