Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    auntie1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2012, 05:05 PM
    18 year old cat - stiff back legs / falls over...
    Our 18 year old cat was just sleeping on our futon and when she woke up and tried to stand, she fell over. She then jumped off the futon and we noticed her back legs seemed stiff and kind of wide-stanced and every time she would try to walk she would fall (her right back leg would give out). She did this for a few minutes and then eventually she jumped back up onto the futon and fell asleep. I'm worried she may have had a stroke or something. She has kidney issues and we feed her a special diet and also include glucosamine in her food. She does have somewhat weak back legs normally with her age and sometimes it's worse than others, but nothing this pronounced/severe until now.

Jan 1, 2012, 05:15 PM
    Correction it's not glucosamine supplement we give her, it's potassium gluconate. Thanks.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 2, 2012, 01:48 PM
    If you can do it without causing more trauma, please take the cat to the vet. Yes, she may have had a stroke or something else might be going on with her spine.

Please let us know.

Jan 4, 2012, 12:10 AM
    The vet thinks it may be spine related but vestibular disease is another potential cause. We're monitoring the situation. Upon further monitoring it seems more coordination/balance related than "weak legs" as we had originally thought.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cat stiff legs [ 3 Answers ]

Tonight when I got home my cat was fine I fed her some turkey and she got by me in a chair and went to sleep then on my desk when I picked her up her claws were out and the bottom of her feet were kind of stiff she couldn't walk on the carpet because her claws kept cathing I took her into the...

Cat walking around in circles some triping on his back legs [ 2 Answers ]

My cat he is a persain purebreed and he is 18 or 19 years old. I think that he is going blind. Over the past few days I have acsedentaly steped on his tail or foot about 4 or 5 times. The other night my computer was out on the floor and he got tangled in it and he keeped walking forward the he...

Cat stiff back legs [ 14 Answers ]

Hello, Recently I've noticed when my cat walk his back leg is a bit stiff and he stamping slightly whilst walking he seems OK in himself not complaining of pain or anything he eats and drink water well he seems to drink more water since the weather got very hot apart from that he is OK his stiff...

Cat has sudden poralysis in back legs [ 1 Answers ]

I currently have a cat that was walking/running around and the next thing I knew, he had absolutely no use of his back legs. I took him to the vet where he currently is, and they ran X-rays and blood work. His blood work came back normal, and he has a pulse in both of his back legs and feet,...

Nursing cat with sudden very stiff legs [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I'm very worried about my cat. She is a two year old and she had a litter of kittens one month ago. Everything has been fine. Last night she threw up. It smelled up the whole house but I couldn't find it. It still smells three hours later. This morning she is stiff legged. She's not...

View more questions Search