Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lindsay1783 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2011, 09:06 PM
    Strange smell coming from phone jack outlet?
    Hello, the past couple of days I've noticed an awful urine odor in our master bedroom. My husband pulled our bed out and behind the bed is a phone jack and a power outlet. The phone jack is emitting an awful urine odor, we removed the plate and the smell got worse. Our home is brand new (built in October of last year, 2010).

We have a brick/siding home on a concrete slab. Does anyone know why a phone outlet would stink so badly?

Thanks!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Dec 31, 2011, 10:07 PM
    A phone jack should not emit any kind of odor. Any possibility of a pet being involved here? When you remove the phone jack cover what did you find, a sealed electrical box or a plastic box with an open back (known as a low voltage box) or maybe just a metal frame around the hole? Your post indicates that odor is coming from inside the wall not from the phone jack itself.

What is on the other side of that wall? By any chance is there a bathroom on the other side?

Is this the first floor?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a strange chemical smell coming from the basement ceiling same time everyday [ 0 Answers ]

I live in a 1920's house. Everyday around 12:30 there is some sort of chemical/ plastic smell coming from the basement ceiling. I t last about an hour. I open up the windows to air it out faster. The smell seems to come through the wood floors to the 1st and 2nd floors of the house. It has been...

Sir my house septic tank outlet water coming is very very bad smell what is the soul [ 1 Answers ]

Sir I am 32 years old my house septic tank outlet water is very very bad smell coming my house&sourendings what is the souluation please tell me my family very very sufaring

I want to convert a phone jack to be the main phone jack. How do I do that? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to use the phone jack in my basement to connect my Vonage phone adapter in order to distribute the service to all phone jacks in my house. But I need to convert it to the "main" jack in order for the Vonage signal to be distributed. I was told I should be able to convert this jack to the...

Strange wires in one phone jack, and get loud buzzing sound instead of dial tone! [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Here's my issue. I just moved to this apartment and got my phone connected (and dsl). I have three phone jacks in the livingroom that work perfectly, normal dial tone and the dsl modem is on them too. But I want to use the phone jack in my room since it's my private phone and dsl. There is...

Strange smell coming from underneath bathroom cabinet [ 7 Answers ]

After we remodeled our children's upstairs bathroom, it backs up to the attic, we had new insulation put in. This summer there is a terrible musty smell. I tried putting damp-rid products underneath cabinet to help the smell but the smell has intenisified! Help Also, the insulation in the garage...

View more questions Search