Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    erixom Posts: 51, Reputation: 0

Dec 31, 2011, 11:13 AM
    Windows xp on tomtom
    I have a old tomtom I do not use can I install windows xp on it it is a tomtom 1 3rd edition
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 31, 2011, 11:15 AM
    Nope as the hardware is not supported.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2011, 11:16 AM
    Is this even a serious question... but no you can't... for the record you can't put it on your toaster, TV or refrigerator either.

Dec 31, 2011, 11:17 AM
    OK just wondering
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2011, 11:22 AM
    Those GPS devices are barely able to run what they have on them, they are built to a price point.. and the OS they use is a highly optimized version of LINUX ported to the particular CPU used in them

Jan 1, 2012, 05:37 AM
    Well then maybe I can get unbuntu or linux mint on them
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 1, 2012, 05:57 AM
    And what would you use as a keyboard? No, as has been pointed out these machines are specialized and cannot be used for any other purpose.

Jan 1, 2012, 07:18 AM
    A on screen keyboard in accsiasbilty settings

Jan 1, 2012, 08:03 AM
    Accessibility settings of what? Tom Tom? That will be wiped out. As for Ubuntu or whatever, there are no drivers for the screens.

Jan 1, 2012, 08:47 AM
    Well I bet I could find one
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2012, 09:15 AM
    Bet you can't... also bet you aren't able to trim the distro down small enough to even fit on the device too.

Because if you have to ask... you don't know enough about Linux to pull it off. Because I for one know I couldn't do it.

But its your device... go ahead and try... you will only succeed in ruining a perfectly good GPS. Other people brick perfectly good things trying to hack them every day. If you pull it off, post vids on Utube and get back to us. I'd like to see it. I actually do enjoy seeing people that pull that sort of thing off.

Jan 1, 2012, 05:24 PM
    See their are accsebialty settings in umbuntu with onscreen keyboard plus the mouse is the touch screen is the mouse

Jan 1, 2012, 05:40 PM
    You aren't paying attention. First, the processor in the TOM TOM has to fully support Linux. Whether it does or not, I don't know but I doubt it. Second, there has to be a way to load an OS onto the Device. How do you expect to do that? Third, you need device drivers for the device, something I doubt exists.

Give it up, ain't going to happen.

Feb 3, 2012, 04:07 AM
    One I can load it on by putting the files on to it
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2012, 08:28 AM
    You can try, but if its not ported for the particular CPU in the unit its not going to work. Windows XP has to be installed.. not simply copied.

Not every CPU you are going to come across is an Intel clone that uses the same intruction set. I don't know which CPU the Tom Tom uses, or if its Intel compatible at all.

As an example the AMD cpus use the same Intel instruction sets as Intel CPU's... as do ATOM cpu's.

Then Windows XP has certain minimum requirements for memory and CPU speed or it just won't load.

Apr 11, 2012, 05:40 AM
    OK sorry for your time :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have windows Vista, and I can't open files designated to Windows Media Center? [ 9 Answers ]

I have Windows Vista, which came with this computer, And occasionally get files from my daughter's school designated to Windows Media Center, which I can't open in anything. There seems to be nowhere to open it in Media Center, but when I click it... that's where it takes me. Very frustrating.

TomTom inquery [ 1 Answers ]

Does it cost money to update maps on tomtom?

Tracking a TomTom Go 720 [ 6 Answers ]

My TomTom was stolen in November and someone mentioned that I could possibly track its location. Is this possible?

Tomtom navigator issue [ 5 Answers ]

I have a tomtom navigator and every time it took me to a destination and I accidentally passed it, it would instantly find another way to relocate me back to my destination, but a few days ago it stopped doing that and I don't know how to fix or program it back to how it was. :confused:

TomTom Tracking [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone! Does anyone know if there's a piece of software I can buy / download that I can use to track my TomTom usage via GPS? Cheers peeps! J

View more questions Search