Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dsnoles Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2011, 09:53 AM
    Wanting to work in Canada..
    Does Canada have access to your criminal history? Also, Can you get a work permit if were convicted of a felony 11yrs ago?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2011, 10:06 AM
    Yes, the do.

Probably not but it's on a case by case basis.
    dsnoles Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2011, 11:02 AM
    Thank you for your answer.. Do you know if they are able to retrieve yourou records right in front of you? Or do they have to pull you over to the side then submit to finding out if there may be a problem?

The company that I am going to work for is a Canadian Company and they ran my background and stated to me that I was good to go? I have my ticket they purchased along with my letter of offer.. Getting a little scared! Thanks
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2011, 11:52 AM
    Did the Canadian Company run as thorough a background check as the Canadian Government will run?

Yes, your name will be punched into the computer in front of your eyes.

You didn't close that you have a felony in your background when you applied for the job? In many ways Canadian Customs and Immigration is tougher than the US - and I'm a former US Customs employee!

Entering the Country and getting a Work Permit are, by the way, two different things. Your Work Permit Application requires that you disclose your criminal history.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Born in Portugal, moved to Canada very young, wanting Portuguese ID card and Passport [ 0 Answers ]

I moved to British Columbia Canada with my family when I was only four years old. My parents became Canadian Citizens after I turned 16. I would like to travel but and need a passport to do so. How do I get A Portuguese ID Card and Passport so I can then get my Canadian Permanent Residency Card...

The success rate on going to Canada on a visit and looking for work via work permit [ 0 Answers ]

I'm an American citizen and my fiancé is a citizen of Canada. I'm currently looking on sites for employment offers for a work permit to move up there but so far I'm not having any luck. How possible is it to drive over (I've flown into canada before) the border and get a 180 day stay and look for...

Living in NJ wanting to work in NY [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I just recently moved to NJ and am looking at working in NY. I live about 1/2 from the train station in NJ. I was wondering where in New York is a good start to look for jobs that the train would let off in NY.

Wanting to Move to Canada [ 6 Answers ]

I live in the States currently and am trying to move to Canada. I can have about $4,000 saved up to move. I just need to know what is reasonable amount of money to have before coming into the country. Do I need anything else besides a passport?

Wanting to Work in the UK [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My wife got accepted at the University of Manchester to study for 3 years. I will be going with her as a spouse. What type of visa do I need to apply? And will I be able to look for work and work full time with this visa? Thank you

View more questions Search