Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chillifrye Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2011, 12:09 AM
    14-2 wire on a 20 amp circuit for hot tub
    So I foolishly ran a dedicated 15 amp circuit to my hot tub using 14-2 wire. Worked well for a couple of years, but then I had to replace the spa motor. The new motor trips the 15 amp circuit breaker about once a month. I'm considering swapping out the 15 amp circuit with a 20. I know this is against code, but it is a dedicated line that is buried about 12 inches deep, also the run is only about 30 feet. From a non-code perspective is there any danger here? I think the spa pulls about 12 amps nominally and then spikes periodically. What's weird is it never trips when I'm using it, even with the jets and the heater on simultaneously. Another weird thing, it's connected to a 15 amp bi-pole breaker, and the "sister" breaker also trips periodically. Another option would be to replace the breaker with another 15 amp breaker. Any suggestions?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2012, 01:38 PM
    That's why I like to run in pvc. Try this, turn off the power and, if the soil is loose enough you may be able to tie on. 12awg and pull back to the box and use a 20 AMp. This is ground faulted? Why a 2 pole breaker?

chillifrye Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2012, 05:16 PM
    Thanks, I think I'll just buy some fishing tape and pull through some 12-2 wire just to play it safe. The 2 pole breaker (if that's even what it's called) was put in because my box was getting full of the large breakers so I went with the mini breaker that has 2 breakers but only uses one breaker slot.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2012, 07:37 PM
    Now that you mentioned it was a mini breaker, that's different, it isn't a 2pole,it's a double single pole designed for 2circuits
    Go with 12AWG.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I use an older 3 wire 220 circuit for a 4 wire hot tub [ 6 Answers ]

Can I somehow use an existing 3 wire 220 volt circuit to power a 4 wire hot tub? Running a new 4 wire circuit back to the main panel will be long and difficult. I have nearby access to an old 3 wire sub panel once used for an air conditioner. This original circuit is missng the ground wire.

Wire size wire & circuit breaker do I need for a 15.8 range [ 2 Answers ]

What size circuit breaker & wire size do I need rfor a 15.8 raqnge ?

View more questions Search