Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    P1034811 Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Dec 30, 2011, 06:47 AM
    Suggestions for people who want to study/learn about everything?
    I'm fascinated with practically every field of study, particularly humanities-based subjects:

I spent my secondary school years taking advanced courses in English Literature, Foreign Languages (Mandarin Chinese and Japanese), Biology as well as Classical Music (history and performance). My school's gifted education programme also allowed me to discover the joy of philosophy through four years of Philosophy and Theory Of Knowledge classes. During that time, I also joined and won a number of creative writing competitions.

I've since graduated and entered college, where I am currently studying Visual Communication and Graphic Design for the second (of three) year. I've since discovered a keen interest in marketing, advertising and copywriting. Additionally, the curriculum includes a Design Theory module and another on Art History and Philosophy, both of which I am very much in love with. However, the classes for both subjects are limited to only two hours a week each, leaving me feeling only almost satisfied. The dean of design has also very graciously given me permission to attend his Interior Architecture lectures between my own classes, where I am allowed to listen in and do the assignments.

Having given my educational background, I would like to ask if anyone has any advice for someone who is interested in, well, everything? Ideally, I'd love to study not only the subjects mentioned above, but also Geography, Psychology, English and Linguistics in depth. While I am satisfied with focusing on learning about one subject at a time, before long I always feel like I want to pick up on an additional one and/or having my lessons progress at a faster and more intense rate. I'm honestly lost as to what to do next in life as I feel like I want to do so much but I don't know where to start.

What should I do? Where should I go? What University or career should I aim for? A sincere answer will be much appreciated!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2011, 07:02 AM
    You are going to have to pick one to focus on...

Otherwise you will be known as

The Jack of all trades, but the master of none.

That means knowing something about everything is less valuable than knowing everything about one thing.

Your advantage is you like a lot of things... so find a field with a lot of expected growth in the future and pursue that.

What Copllege or University will depend on a lot of things... as what field (no college accels at everything, many accel at nothing)... what you can afford... and if you can get a scholarship or even accepted.

I'd worry first about what... then worry about how... and last, worry about where.

Dec 30, 2011, 07:30 AM
    Smoothy:
    That's what my parents tell me too, but unfortunately even if I do excel at any one subject and succeed in a related field in my career, I don't think I'll be happy. I've tried to focus all my energy and attention on one subject when I started on my Graphic Design course but now I know for a fact that I want more. I want to know everything there is to know because learning itself is a passion of mine.

Is it really that unrealistic? I'm really beginning to worry...
    Thanks anyway!
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2011, 07:41 AM
    Its never unrealistic to pursue knowledge... a desire to learn is an admiral trait... and should never actually end.

But to excel at a career, you are going to have to narrow your focus. Because as I said... being great at one thing is far more valuable than just being good at many. Also by that I mean fields... not being hyper specialized in one specific area of one specific field which in most cases can be very limiting unless you are in research.

May I ask how old your are. So I can guess how long you have to make a decision of some sort?

And what country you reside in.

Dec 30, 2011, 07:51 AM
    I am sixteen going on seventeen in 2012 (skipped two grades). I'm currently in the last term of my second year in college studying Graphic Design, but the full course is three years long so I suppose I have a year left to decide? I live in Singapore.

Thank you so much for your help, Smoothy. I really appreciate it!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 30, 2011, 08:12 AM
    I believe in young people choosing their direction. Those who want to learn a trade don't have to study the Classics. Those who want to learn 'everything' should be able to take as many classes as they want with just a narrow major. And 'transfer of knowledge' is a wonderful thing, so that what you learn in Philosophy will be useful in any field, even Marketing. Literature and History find their way into design.

I just read in Wired about System D, the underground economy (untaxed, unregulated, mostly unknown) that now is half the world's commerce and will be much bigger very soon. A lot of that is marketing. The biggest companies in the world hire people who know how to reach it. Talk about languages and psychology and design too. That's just ONE interesting area of jobs for the future.

Finding the right next school for you isn't just about courses offered, it's about what you want in regards to size and location too - city, country, small, large.
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2011, 08:20 AM
    Ok.. not at all familiar with the school system in Singapore.. you will clearly want to take the one with the most courses that prepare you for what you like best in college. Programs there are really going to have a relevance in your field Once you get into the post graduate area you will become VERY specialized in a specific area. Namely if you are going after a PhD.

You can have multiple majors... but its still advised to have them in related areas... that will give you the best advantage.

You are almost seventeen and skipped two grades yet you are in the SECOND year of College? I'm a little confused by that because here that would have required you to skip 4 years of school. Don't worry, its not that important that I know. (in the USA you have 12 years of school before you enter college)

Definitely complete the one you are in now... and I think your first comments of marketing and advertising might be the best area to continue your education in. My thoughts are it builds on what you have already learned, and you can expand on it in related areas with future studies.

Keeping your focus on a specific field... means everything you do will complement each other... and add more value. And doing a job you enjoy, is so much better than doing one you might not.

Your field is not one I work in, or know much about. I am in Telecomunications... but some concepts do still apply. There will be others who will also offer valuable perspectives to consider, so be patient.

I don't often say listen to your heart... but in your case I don't think it will mislead you in your choice (except for wanting to be overly broad in your studies) because you are clearly able to see how the choices you make now will effect your future choices. Something that can get the average person in trouble.

I speak from the advantage of looking back and seeing how some of the choices I have made turned out. Sometimes they were not the best, and how some were very good. And knowing if I could do it all over again knowing what I do now... what I would do differently.

EDIT. I did go back and read your post again... and saw a few things I missed first time. SO parts of this post may not seem right.

Dec 30, 2011, 08:29 AM
    Yup, I agree! I've just embarked on an experimental publication design project that incorporates William Blake's poetry (and how he explores duality and perspectives - so exciting!) and I can't wait to get started on it. I love studying the subjects on their own, but I know that no field of study stands solitary; it's like building a cosmos of interlocking disciplines in my head and I love it! Nonetheless, I'd still like to study everything in depth rather than have a supplementary course (eg. Of philosophy of art while enrolled in design).

Thank you for the heads up on System D; I'll look into it. Regarding the school, I guess I really don't mind moving out of my country at all if I can get to a suitable course.

Dec 30, 2011, 08:47 AM
    Smoothy:
    Oh, I didn't know about the multiple majors. I guess at least that makes it slightly easier when I have to choose. Thank you very much for letting me know.

Oh, perhaps I was wrong about college? I was under the impression that it is a post-secondary/pre-university educational institution. We don't call them colleges here in Singapore so I really apologize for the misunderstanding! We have six years of Primary school, four of Secondary school, two or three of post-Secondary school (it depends on where you go and what you do) and then University. I'm currently enrolled in a specialized art school (Lasalle College Of The Arts) which gets me a diploma in Visual Communication and Graphic Design.

Yup, I definitely intend to finish my current Design course and have secured a three month internship (part of curriculum criteria) as a junior copywriter with the advertising company Publicis Groupe. I just love how it combines both my love for language, literature and advertising.

Thank you for doling so much advice for me even though you aren't in the same field; I truly appreciate all your help and correspondence. I will certainly look into trying to whittle down my areas of interest so I can do a few majors in University. After that, I will probably enroll in a university again, but to study another course(s). I just hope I'll be able to put myself through it because I understand that tuition fees can really mount up.

Thank you so much!
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2011, 09:11 AM
    You are welcome... they are expensive... so that's why I feel its important to know what you want before you start... rather than spend money on courses and later decide you wanted something else because you didn't decide before. Yes there are people that do that... usually because their parents are paying, and not them.

And You also have something most of the people your age don't.

An understanding that lifes all about having to make what you hope is the best choice, that all choices have costs and consequences... and they all effect your future.

You already have a lot of what it takes to be a success in life... don't lose your enthusiasm... or spirit.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 30, 2011, 10:32 AM
    Fifty years ago, I was you. I became a teacher, then a librarian, then a counselor, and along the way, a published author. I was able to do all those things simultaneously and totally enjoyed my life!

You're not limited to one career.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How did the Mesolithic and Neolithic people learn to adapt to their environments? [ 1 Answers ]

How did they adapt like their food and shelter and other stuff? Also, what were the climate changes in the Mesolithic and Neolithic era?

Will people ever learn? [ 3 Answers ]

At school, there is this girl... let's call her, Jane, well Jane is VERY manipulative, popular, etc. and everywhere I turn I have to hear about her, she's like some princess, and even the people who don't like her really Don't LIKE HER.. so I have to hear about her anyway. What can I do, I feel...

View more questions Search