Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    A.Hoppel Posts: 26, Reputation: 0

Dec 29, 2011, 10:55 PM
    What could cause my cockatiel to be losing his feathers?
    I have a 2 yr old male cockatiel. He is well fed, watered daily, and has a large cage that he shares with one other cockatiel. He started losing feathers about a month or so ago, fairly slowly, but lately it seems to have gotten worse. He has lost most of the top feathers on his chest and a few on the top of his head, including a few crest feathers. Is this what molting is, or something else natural? Any information would be appreciated. Please don't leave a common sense answer like, " take him to the vet". I just don't want to go to the vet if it is a natural process or an easy fix problem. These are the first birds I've ever had, please help!
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Dec 30, 2011, 04:14 PM
    Birds are not cats or dogs, and should not be treated except by vets who express either special interest or training in avian medicine. That said, are you certain the vet treating your cockatiel has enough experience in bird medicine? Birds, and other more exotic pets (reptiles, etc.) are beyond the interest of more than a few vets (mostly from lack of personal experience with them) but are becoming more of a factor in their practices, especially in areas with a lack of choice in local vets. As a consequence, they are being pushed into trying to provide some service to the community, with limitations of course. This may be at the base of your problem, and maybe not, but I mention it anyway.

Dec 30, 2011, 05:15 PM
    Thank you for your comment, but my vet office has an exotic vet special for birds, reptiles, etc. I took my bird to see her this afternoon and she confirmed that he was molting, and that he is actually only a little older than 1. (I had been told that he was a year older than that.) Again, thank you very much for that answer because if my vet hadn't already had a special vet for exotics I would not have known that all vets aren't able to treat a bird. :)
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Dec 30, 2011, 05:54 PM
    Thanks for the reply, and that's great news about your bird (and vet!). I was wondering about a molt, but I sort of fall into that group of vets I mentioned.

Dec 30, 2011, 06:45 PM
    Then let me say to you, thank you so much, on behalf of all animal lovers everywhere! My pets mean the world to me and I don't know where I'd be without my vet! I'm sure that your clients are very grateful to you, even if birds aren't your area of expertise. It's a bonus to your character that you are actually using your free time to help others who are asking pet questions over the internet, bless you! :)
    binkia Posts: 49, Reputation: -2

Jan 1, 2012, 12:29 AM
    I think it is molting but take him to a vet just to be on the safe side.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2012, 05:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by binkia View Post
    I think it is molting but take him to a vet just to be on the safe side.

You did read what the Vet posted before you answered, right?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cockatiel eggs [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question for you... I tried candling and the eggs have a yoke and air sack but I don't see veins. When I put one of them in water in sank. Not toally but the was a small part of it on the bottm of the bowl. Do I fertile eggs or not

Why my chicken is losing its feathers [ 2 Answers ]

Just wondering about one of my bantam chickens.She has lost all her underbelly feathers and then some on top of her wing and thenin a circle around her neck like a necklace.The actual quills are still in her in some parts of her body but underneath she is bald and has what looks like one little...

Cockatiel babies [ 1 Answers ]

In about 3 months I am getting a cockatiel. The breeder is very nice and we have very good recommendations. She is going to hand rear the bird for me as this is my first, however I am interested in the different stages the babies go through and the mom's pregnancy etc. If anybody has any good links...

Cockatiel as a new pet [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend's rude friend decided to give my 5 year old a bird for her b-day without asking permission. So, needless to say I need to learn about cockatiels. For instance, do their cages need to be covered for them to sleep well? Any help would be appreciated, I now worry about the bird 24-7. :)

New male cockatiel [ 3 Answers ]

I just got a male cockaiel for my female!! I put a nesting box inside of the cage. The male is biting aroung the opening of the hole and he is whistling to her and preening her, but they will not go in the nest or I have not seen them mate. Can you tell me what is going on please??

View more questions Search