Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Coppertobe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2011, 10:28 PM
    I am 18, a girl, and I need to be adopted! Can I ?
    Well I live in Canada and all my life I have wanted to be adopted.
    I have never met my father and my mother is a druggie, so I had a horrible life and I've had to raise myself. I'm like an orphan.

Now that I'm 18 I'm so sad and scared knowing I'll never be adopted and never have a mother or father and I want it more than anything in the world. That's what I think about most.

I've never been disciplined either, and I crave it a lot. Just haven't gone through any of the things children go through, I don't know what it's like to have a parent or a parent like figure.

I need some advice. I wish there was an adult adoption agency... Is there?

Or do you just know what I could do to find someone who could be like a mentor or something to me? I want to be a police officer so I've always dreamed about getting adopted by a cop. I just want it so much. I can't bear the idea of having to live the rest of my life with this emptiness and never knowing what it's like to have a mom or dad. :(

Any help would be wonderful. Thank you in advance..
    Mini_Her Posts: 145, Reputation: 4

Dec 29, 2011, 11:52 PM
    I know of some resources in Florida, but none in Canada. There are a few "Adult foster homes" down here. The Frat House, New Journey, and Casa Valentina are some. The girls there are between the ages 18 and 23. And it's a family setting. Some of those girls actually do get attached to their "mothers" in those home (some). Because you are still young (18 year olds are often treated like children BTW) an older person would look at you from a parental stand point. So to answer your question, yes you can still be taken in as someone's child. Google "Adult foster homes" or "after foster care" in Canada and see if they have them there.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2011, 07:02 AM
    You cannot be adopted without the consent of your birth parents.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 30, 2011, 11:16 AM
    You don't need to be "adopted". Adoption is a legal process wherein a legal familial relationship is created. That's not what you need. What you need is friends to show you that you matter. A mentor to help guide you in the future.

What I would suggest is to talk to a guidance counselor at school who can suggest support groups that can help you.

Also, do you belong to a church or other religious organization? That would be another source. There are also fraternal organizations for police officers that may be able to help you.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2011, 03:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mini_Her View Post
    I know of some resources in Florida, but none in Canada. There are a few "Adult foster homes" down here. The Frat House, New Journey, and Casa Valentina are some. The girls there are between the ages 18 and 23. And it's a family setting. Some of those girls actually do get attached to their "mothers" in those home (some). Because you are still young (18 year olds are often treated like children BTW) an older person would look at you from a parental stand point. So to answer your question, yes you can still be taken in as someone's child. Google "Adult foster homes" or "after foster care" in Canada and see if they have them there.

You are aware that people age out of the foster care system at 18, right?

I can't find an adult foster home in OP's area which isn't designed for seniors. Can you?

The homes you give as references are designed and licensed to help "young adults" make the transition from foster care to independent living. That's also not the case here. She's not in foster care.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 1, 2012, 12:17 PM
    What in the world would be the benefit to adoptive parents to adopt you at 18?

Those who wish to adopt generally wish to have a CHILD in their lives.

Those who want adults in their lives to care for have FRIENDS.

I suggest you make friends and make your friends into your "family". All it takes is the same unconditional love you'd give a family member.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

28y back I adope a girl as a adopted girl now she claims my property [ 3 Answers ]

Will you please tell me where this test perform N its allso my high courts oder Please tell me charges Also tell me to whom I contact I live in karachi pakistan

A book about an adopted insomniac girl who believes in a monster [ 0 Answers ]

The girl is an insomniac, like her mom, and she was adopted by her parents. She also believes in a monster.

Who sings a newer country song about a little girl named rose/rosie who gets adopted? [ 2 Answers ]

The song is a newer country song by a female artist. There is a little girl named Rose or Rosie and she is neglected by her biological mom and dad. She eventually is adopted. The song relates the little girl to how you would take care of a flower. It was played on either 102.7 or 106.7 within the...

I was adopted(birth parents are dead) but my adopted father is a deadbeat dad.. [ 7 Answers ]

I was adopted(birth parents are dead) but my adopted father is a deadbeat dad... My mother re-married & he husband (stepfather) has been what I consider my father. How can I have my adopted fathers name taken off my birth certificate & add my step fathers name? My mother is now deceased. The...

Looking for girl adopted in 1965 [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for my niece adopted out by my minor aged sister in 1965 around Washington dc, last name HIRSCH, mothers name Linda Ruth, grandparents, Harriett and WIlliam Hirsch, birthed at girls home? No idea exact info.

View more questions Search