Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mini_Her Posts: 145, Reputation: 4

Dec 29, 2011, 06:54 PM
    Is this a crime?
    Is it against the law for a person to say "That's why so many polices getting killed now" to a police officer? Is that a crime? Can a police arrest someone for saying that?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 29, 2011, 06:59 PM
    Taken out of context, I don't see it as a threat. But in context the officer may have felt it was. Could have been enough for an arrest, but probably not for a conviction.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 29, 2011, 07:00 PM
    Depends on what the situation surrounding the statement was at the time.

Dec 29, 2011, 08:05 PM
    I was watching a reality show where people's cars were getting towed. They towed a man's car, and his best friend said "that's why so many polices be getting killed"... They handcuffed the guy and put him in a police car. I was confused... Never thought a statement was a crime.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 29, 2011, 08:31 PM
    It can be conceived as a crime. The officer will present this as the man "implying' that the officer could get killed for this.

With that said, most reality shows are not truly reality, an example is the show "COPS" ( not sure if it is still on or not) but so much of what you see on it, is filmed after the fact, re-enacted and so on. I used to love the show till I was there at an arrest of one show. What was shown on TV was so not the same as what really happened.

Also often a person is arrested but then released later
    Expert

Dec 29, 2011, 08:36 PM
    It can be perceived as a threat.

Dec 29, 2011, 08:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    It can be conceived as a crime. The officer will present this as the man "implying' that the officer could get killed for this.

With that said, most reality shows are not truly reality, an example is the show "COPS" ( not sure if it is still on or not) but so much of what you see on it, is filmed after the fact, re-enacted and so on. I used to love the show till I was there at an arrest of one show. What was shown on TV was so not the same as what really happened.

Also often a person is arrested but then released latter
    Wow are you serious! I thought cops was real!! So it's filmed with actors?? Gee wow! Well in this case I'd feel better if I found out that guy was not really arrested. I was furious when I saw them arrest him for making a simple statement.
    Expert

Dec 29, 2011, 08:43 PM
    It wasn't a simple statement, it was perceived as a threat, therefore he was arrested.

Dec 30, 2011, 06:38 AM
    Let me put this in a little perspective here. The job of being a police officer has changed in the last 50 years. A police officer used to be a respected profession. These were people who risked their lives to protect the public. However, over the last 50 years over zealous brutality, corruption scandals, etc. have changed the perception and police officers are subject to a lot more disrespect than they used to.

So try putting yourself in the police officer's place. People have broken the law by parking illegally. The officer is doing his job. Some loudmouth interferes with his performance of that job with an off hand remark that could be perceived as a threat. Think how YOU might react.

I'm not saying the officer was justified. But I think we need to give the police officer, in the performance of his duty, some respect and not get in their face. If you were in a job, where someone could start shooting at you at any moment you would be concerned about anything that might be a threat to your safety.

Sure there are corrupt cops and over zealous cops that get off on brutality. But the time to confront those things is AWAY from the situation with the officer's superiors, not to get in the officer's face.

Most likely, that person was released and not charged. But maybe he learned not to mouth off when it wasn't appropriate.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2011, 06:46 AM
    Hello:

I agree with Scott, except for his solution.. He tells us that the cops have gone rogue, so it's US who better tone down our talk...

However, from MY perspective, it's the COPS who better tone down their roguery.

excon

Dec 30, 2011, 06:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    I agree with Scott, except for his solution.. He tells us that the cops have gone rogue, so it's US who better tone down our talk...

However, from MY perspective, it's the COPS who better tone down their roguery.

excon
    This is kind of a Catch-22 situation. I think a lot of the "roguery" is a result of the shift in public attitude towards the police. So if you treat an officer with respect, you will get treated with respect in turn. I am big on respect being earned, but I think anyone who puts their life on the line to protect others, has earned being treated with respect until they prove otherwise. I also think one should be careful about when and where they choose to battle. The time to confront a police officer is not when they may feel threatened.

Having said that I know, its hard to do. But if you give an officer no reason to fear for their safety and they still get over zealous, then gather your proof and bring the issue to the officer's superiors.

This doesn't mean one should blindly follow an officer's instructions, just that we have to be smarter about it.
    Letsmakelove Posts: 21, Reputation: -2

Dec 30, 2011, 04:17 PM
    You should not be arrested for this he may thnk of it as a threat but you can't go to jail for it

Dec 30, 2011, 04:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Letsmakelove View Post
    You should not be arrested for this he may thnk of it as a threat but you can't go to jail for it
    Being arrested and being charged and convicted are two different things. Lots of times a police officer makes an arrest in the heat of a moment that never gets prosecuted.

But, interfering with a police officer in the performance of his duties is a crime that could involve jail time.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 30, 2011, 06:53 PM
    And threatening a police officer if it is shown as a threat is a crime.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Compare and contrast natural crime and legal crime [ 2 Answers ]

What are the major crimes in the FBI crime index?

Crime with a crime but still in process mark yes or no for any convictions [ 13 Answers ]

Been worknig for a company in a nursing home. Decided to apply in another department, had to do another background check.recently got charged with a crime that still in process, so would I be lying if I make no when they ask do I have any convictions.

Need definition of natural crime and legal crime [ 1 Answers ]

Am doing a college paper on Natural Crime and Legal Crime and am searching for simple definitions or other research on these two types of crime and what falls under each. Thanks:)

Natural crime v. Legal crime [ 3 Answers ]

Define natural crime v. legal crime

Natural Crime and Legal Crime [ 5 Answers ]

I need some help here I am doing a paper on Natural Crime and Legal Crime I need 1500 word and I am stuck at 895. Can anyone give me their thoughts on the subject?

View more questions Search