Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gingerfaust Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2011, 03:15 PM
    When did louis rauret live?
    I have a painting from my grandma. It has Louis Rauret on the bottom and Le Refuge. On the top it says Paris Etching Society NY-USA. What can you tell me about this. When did he live, where is this picture painted of, when did he paint this painting?
    ElfGirl777 Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Dec 29, 2011, 11:20 PM
    I believe you mean RAMET instead of Rauret.
    Le Refuge
    by Louis Ramet
    http://www.wvi.com/~mmhorvat/ParisEtchingSociety.pdf
    During the 30's and 40's the Gallery was also a publishing house specializing in French etchings under the label "Paris Etching Society". The coloring of these etchings are quite exquisite. They often appear to be watercolor when they are in fact aquatint. Sydney Lucas contracted with French artists to publish editions of their work. After Sydney died in the mid 60's, his wife, Phyllis carried on the business, building on the Gallery's collaboration with Salvador Dali. The Gallery was the first North American publisher of his lithographs and published 26 editions of his images. Dali was a frequent visitor to the Gallery, and a friend of Phyllis Lucas, who died in 1995.

During his career, Sydney published thousands of images. Through the Paris Etching Society and his own prints, he brought art into the homes of people at all levels of income through his etchings, serigraphs, woodblock prints, restrikes and reproductions. The various subjects included Redouté and Prevost Flowers, Barraband and Gould Birds, Piranesi, French Landscapes, Urban Scenes, Women, Children, Animals, Hunting and much more.

These etchings can be found in many places and the value of them depends upon the importance of the particular artist who created the piece. These etchings are usually marked by one or more of the following, S Z L (within a triangle) for Sydney Zoltan Lucas, P E S or Paris Etching Society, or Camilla Lucas.
    http://www.lucillelucasgallery.com/searchresults.php?custom1=Paris%20Etching%20Societ y%20and%20Sydney%20Z.%20Lucas%20Publications
    Hope this helps...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Louis Claude [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to find the value of two pieces from the "Paris Etching Society - NY" of two steeple chase sceens signed by "Louis Claude". Label on the rear has a code of B/29 on one of them, labeled original etching by Claude and titled Steeplechase. In the lower left hand corner, there seems...

Louis B. Hurt [ 1 Answers ]

I have an oil painting of highland cattle by Louis B. Hurt dated 1913 and titled "On Rannoch Moor". Size is appx. 22-1/2"x17-1/2". How can I find out its value?

Louis Breton [ 5 Answers ]

I bought a picture at a garage sale years ago. It looks like a painting or perhaps a colored lithograph with reasonably bright colors for its age, but it has a copyright in the upper right corner by Camilla Lucas 1936, New York. I assume this means it is a print, however it has what appears to be...

Value of Paris Etching Society pictures by Rauret and Granville or Grauvil [ 1 Answers ]

Please let me know the value of the following Paris Etching Society art work River Path or Le Mour?? By Louis Rauret and The Pump or Le Pumpe? By Grauville or Granville?

View more questions Search