Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    randyinwa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2007, 12:45 PM
    Mineral Deposits in Hot Water
    I have a recurring problem of bluish-white, calcium-like deposits clogging the hot water faucets throughout my house. I have checked both hot and cold lines, and the problem seems specific to hot water. If these deposits are coming from my hot water heater, how can I solve this problem. I replaced the heating elements in the tank about a year ago.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2007, 11:12 PM
    Do a web search on dip tubes.
    Dip Tubes
    praughta Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2008, 04:29 AM
    I am having the same problem myself. I believe it is because of hard water. I have had to replace my heating element as well due to hard water deposits and now am having to work on some pipes. What I have read on here from speedball I believe , is that we need to flush our water heaters approx 1x per month to rid the deposits. I also believe we need to invest in a water softener. THere are whole house water filters that I have googled but they range from 300$ too much higher. There are, I have been told, filters that we can attach directly to our water heaters but I have not researched those as of yet.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 13, 2008, 04:48 AM
    Sorry Doug, But Mineral Build Up has nothing to do with the dip tube. For long life and fewer troubles you should keep your heater clear of mineral build-up by FLUSHING NOT DRAINING on a regular schedule. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) followed by white or yellow grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). This shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Do this monthly to keep it clear. Now flush out your hot water lines on ALL fixtures that are affected . Now pull each aerator and clean the screens. Be sure you put them back togather the same way you took them out. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it. Hope this helps, Tom
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2008, 08:07 PM
    Randy, could you tell me a few things? Is your hot water seeming to run out quicker? What is the age of the water heater? What is the name of the water heater? What is the serial number of the water heater?
    gator205432 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2011, 05:16 PM
    Having the same issue with our vacation home it has a electric hot water heater I drain it every year before winter, the house stays empty most of the summer but we owened the house for 16 years and never had this problem before.
    Wonder if the well is contaminated an (artesian well)always great water no taste or smell

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Abnormally high mineral deposits [ 6 Answers ]

Hello all, thanks for taking the time to help me out. We're the original owners of a two story home built in late 2002. I've noticed we have an unbelievable amount of mineral deposits in our plumbing. None of our neighbors are experiencing the same problems. I have to clean out the cold water...

No Hot Water to shower head, but Hot water to the Tub? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I just purchased a new house. We have found that the shower pressure in the bathroom is wonderful however once you have set the right temp from the tub spout and switch over to the shower no hot water makes it to the shower head. We can only turn off the cold water completely in...

Replacing Hot Water Radiators with Hot Water Baseboards [ 2 Answers ]

I have a hot water heating system with radiators, and I want to replace the radiators in the upstairs bathroom and bedrooms (2) with hot water baseboards. Can radiators and baseboards be mixed and if so, how do I determine the size of the baseboards?

Hot water run in bathroom cuts out hot water in kitchen [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, Currently in our bungalow, if we run hot water in the bath & also run hot water in the kitchen tap, after a few seconds water from the kitchen taps stops. If we turn off the bath tap, water still refuses to flow from the kitchen tap. My wife knows a little about the history of the...

Water heater deposits [ 4 Answers ]

I have a clear gel type substance in my water heater I would like to know what it is Any help would be appreciated mogeye

View more questions Search