Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tweety92001 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2011, 11:51 AM
    If you live on a month-to-month basis?
    I live on a month-to-month basis. Can the landlord just throw me out?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 29, 2011, 12:05 PM
    Is it a rent controlled apartment ?

But basically they can evict you with @ a months notice depending on where you live. If you are not paying rent or in some other violation of rental agreement, they can evict sooner.
    tweety92001 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2011, 12:10 PM
    I live in a trailer privet landlord I've lived in the trailer for over 2years now I've never been late I told him I be late this month he said that was fine and now is telling me I need to pay 600 in 2day's before the first or he will throw my stuff out can he do that I have disable kids also he knows this do he have to take me to court or just throw me out
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 29, 2011, 12:25 PM
    He can not legally "throw your stuff out" he can legally file in court to evict you for non payment of rent, if your rent is not paid on time.

They set a court date, and then if you have not paid, all legal fees, court fees and rent by then, the court evicts you.
    The court sends someone and then the landlord sets your stuff out.

But legally he will have to do this though court.

** with that said, some landlords don't follow the law, and some have went in and throw everyone a person owns out into the yard. So can he, yes of course, but it would be illegal and you would be able to sue them for it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 29, 2011, 02:30 PM
    As Chuck said, legally he cannot do this. But that may not stop him. So you can inform him that you know the law and if he does throw your things you you will sue him for an illegal eviction.

Make sure you have proof that this is your residence with you at all times.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paying $667 per month out of disability and trying to live on $740 per month [ 5 Answers ]

I'm paying $667 childsupport per month out of my disability and trying to live on $740 per month for a son in his mid 20's and one 30 years old and both with their own families. When I became disabled my wife received checks from social security for several years that did not go through the child...

Landlord Requiring 2 month Vacating Notice on 3 month (month to month) lease [ 21 Answers ]

I am in a situation and am in need of some advice. I am currently renting an apartment in Minneapolis. I am doing an internship which only requires me to live here for 3 Months. I signed a lease with a complex on a month to month basis. I planned to Move out at the end of April, so on march 1 I...

Upstate NY Month to Month lease termination- Prorated rent after 1st of next month? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, As a month to month renter in Rochester, NY (outside the city) with no lease, I gave notice on June 3 that I would be moving out on July 1. My landlord proceeded to tell me that I would be responsible for the ENTIRE month of July's rent, even though my 30 day notice would take me to the...

Prorating Rent when on a month to month basis [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to get a pro-rated amount back from a landlord since I was on a month to month basis and gave over 30 day notice to vacate. The pro-rated my rent at the beginning of the lease. I paid the last month in full on good faith and only stayed 10 days of the beginning of the month. Should...

I have a tenant on a month-to-month basis I want out. How soon can I do this? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a renter whom I want out for several reasons. This is a property which I own. She was on a 6 month lease. It expired 2 months ago, and is there month-to-month. It was in the original agreement that I pay the utilities. She just run them up with no regard of the cost to me. I told her Sept...

View more questions Search