Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    antonio619 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2011, 11:31 PM
    Will I automatically go to prison in Georgia for criminal damage in the second degree
    I intentionally damaged two car wash touch screens. Supposedly the owner says they're both worth $20,000. I went to the car wash recently and he replaced the whole unit. Am I going to prison for two touch screens?
    Mini_Her Posts: 145, Reputation: 4

Dec 28, 2011, 11:41 PM
    No. That's a civil issue, not a criminal.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2011, 07:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mini_Her View Post
    No. That's a civil issue, not a criminal.

You are absolutely wrong - criminal damage is a criminal issue, that's why it's covered by a Statute.

Civil issues? No way.

If you have a source, please post it. I'm relying on what I learned in law school.

FrChuck is in Georgia. I'm guessing he'll chime in at some point.

And, no, I don't see "prison" time. I assume the OP means jail time. I see restitution, a fine, some public service.
    Mini_Her Posts: 145, Reputation: 4

Dec 29, 2011, 07:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    You are absolutely wrong - criminal damage is a criminal issue, that's why it's covered by a Statute.

Civil issues? No way.

If you have a source, please post it. I'm relying on what I learned in law school.

FrChuck is in Georgia. I'm guessing he'll chime in at some point.

And, no, I don't see "prison" time. I assume the OP means jail time. I see restitution, a fine, some public service.
    Well I'm not sure at all as to why I was told by the police here in Miami that such thing was civil, not criminal. I called the police after my boyfriend intentionally broke my lap top and even sat it in a tub full of WATER. The police said they can't do anything, and that I'd have to take it up with the small claims (civil) court.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2011, 07:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mini_Her View Post
    Well I'm not sure at all as to why I was told by the police here in Miami that such thing was civil, not criminal. I called the police after my boyfriend intentionally broke my lap top and even sat it in a tub full of WATER. The police said they can't do anything, and that I'd have to take it up with the small claims (civil) court.

The Police either didn't believe you or decided this was a domestic dispute, not a criminal act. I'm not saying I agree with them. I'm saying that probably was their thinking.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What happens if you don't resign your lease in Georgia does it automatically renew? [ 1 Answers ]

What happens if you don't resign your lease in Georgia does it automatically renew?

Criminal damage to property 2nd degree [ 1 Answers ]

Any advice would be most helpful - my college age daughter was with a group of four kids who decided it would be fun to egg some cars - it turned out that the owners filed a complaint which led to my daughter's confession to the investigating officer. She did not agree to the function, but was...

Criminal damage [ 9 Answers ]

I've recently pressed charges on my ex partner for criminal damage hea due in court next week have you any idea what sort of punishment he could possibly receive?

Juveniles charges with criminal damage in second degree [ 4 Answers ]

Two juveniles were charged with criminal damage in the second degree. They have already paid restitution for the damages they did and we have to go to court in couple of weeks. They have never been in trouble until this incident. I'm a little concerned about what will happen to them. I know the...

View more questions Search