Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2007, 11:40 AM
    Secure babies become better lovers
    Here's a link to a fascinating story in today's Washington Post.

Highlights:
    Just in time for Valentine's Day, scientists are announcing the results of an astonishing two-decade-long study that explored the connection between insecure infants and relationship problems in young adults. Turns out the kind of baby you were at 12 months can say a lot about the kind of lover you will be at 21.
    Contrary to the popular American myth that people left to fend for themselves become strong and independent, the psychological research seems to show exactly the opposite is true: It is the people who are confident enough to reach out to others for help -- and to whom help is given -- who become truly capable of independence.
    I'm not at all surprised. What do you think?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2007, 11:56 AM
    Totally agree and have known this for a while. I see it in my kids. We adore our children and cherish them without smothering and I see them growing up and trying new experiences with greater ease that the kids of the "tough" parents that want their kids to "toughen up". In my opinion neglectful parenting is a large source of these out-of-control kids. People seem to want to put the blame of the school system - damn it they are educators not parents to 40 kids kids.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2007, 01:38 PM
    So that is what is wrong with me... all those years in therapy and there is the answer.

I do agree with the study - it is just common sense one would think.
    Teaching Posts: 198, Reputation: 28

Feb 12, 2007, 03:38 PM
    I am an early childhood educator by profession and can tell you it is TRUE, secure attachment is very early on in life. If children receive love. Guidance and respect, they learn to trust. Children 0-5's brains are developing and forming at this time.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 12, 2007, 04:15 PM
    The formative years are for much love and reassurance and I think that study is dead on.
    kristynn Posts: 502, Reputation: 66

Feb 12, 2007, 06:46 PM
    Very true. It makes a lot of sense.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Feb 12, 2007, 06:53 PM
    Oh, I think that study is just the beginning of it. The knee bone's connected to the thigh bone...

I am somehow very gifted to see all the mental/emotional/psychological connections to decisions/actions/outcomes. Its uncanny but I know things I don't understand how I know all along these lines. It goes beyond stuff like profiling, and beyond system analysis or maybe you could make a case of me being "overly therapized" (long story there) but I got news: its all connected just like in that study. When it comes to humans there is simply nothing so isolated that it can be truly random.

On a blow-you-mind scale... the world is the way it is very largely because someone either treated us well or treated us badly and influenced who each of us is who in turn treated others the way we do and thus created how the world is. No leader, no politician, no person on the world stage is exempt from this either. If you think the little things don't matter, think again. Its all in the little things, all of it.

Gandhi got this totally right... If you want to change the world, change you.
    If you want great kids, be great people foremost and then treat them kindly and fairly like NeedKarma said.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Are There Any Free Personals Sites To Meet Single Animal Lovers? [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know if anyone knows of any, or has had experiences with any, personals sites, which are absolutely 100% FREE, for singles to meet other singles, but particularly for ANIMAL LOVERS only? THANKS :)

I Need Help With My Two Babies [ 6 Answers ]

Hey! I'm married got 2 little cute girls one of them is a year and two months old and the other is almost amonth. I want to know how to take care of them both and take care of the house, the cooking and myself, I don't sleep much cause I don't have time to do all that. My one year old she's...

For die-hard sleuths, trivia lovers and brainiacs only. [ 21 Answers ]

It is likely that post # 200,000 will be posted to the site by tomorrow. While the home page shows that we have 183,829 posts, this is total posts minus deleted ones. Pointing to the post # within a thread shows the actual post number in the url. For example, this post right here is post...

Friends or lovers? [ 7 Answers ]

My best friend and I went out for a while last year- it's now been over a year since we split up, but we talk all the time. It was only really after we split up that I realised I was in love with him. Anyway, he has recently become a lot more flirty with me, and we have got much closer than we...

How secure are you - A MUST READ [ 5 Answers ]

Ok so it's a bit on the long side, but well worth reading. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11/11/av_workshop/ Just remember "surf safe" Have a good day. Its well worth running some of the online stuff the article mentions especially the Symantec Security stuff.

View more questions Search