Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cbsarge Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2004, 07:13 PM
    No water from sprinklers!
    After the recent hurricanes in Florida, we were without power for a week or so. When we got power back, I noticed a small leak where the pipe that feeds my sprinklers comes out of the top of the pump. I cut the pipe and resealed the threaded piece that was leaking then glued a coupling to reconnect the cut pipe. The system worked o.k. but, it lost pressure sometimes. This went on for a while until recently. Now no water comes out of the system at all!

What might have happened and what can I do? The system came with the house (new construction) and is only about 5 months old.

Thanks for any help.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2004, 09:22 PM
    Check the pump to make sure there is water at both the intake and outlet. If there is water at the outlet, water should flow to the sprinklers unless a line is blocked. From there, you need to decide if the hurricane may have damaged the line or not. Did it drop anything heavy where the line is? If it doesn't seem likely to you that the hurricane damaged the system, go back to who ever you bought the house from. They should be able to go back to the sub contractor that installed the system.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 15, 2004, 06:20 AM
    No water from sprinklers!
    Greetings from Sarasota Sarg,
    I just got through putting out the last of my yard trash that the hurricanes left me.
    I don't think that repairing a leak on the pressure side of the system would cause a complete loss of pressure. Have you tried priming the pump?
    The gage on the bladder tank shows nothing at all? That would put the problem on the suction side. Low water table, faulty foot or check valve, clogged sand point are a few things that come to mind. But why should it be your worry when most new homes on the West Coast carry a one year warranty? Labman was right, contact your contractor and have him put you in touch with the sprinkler company that installed the system. If one of the parts that they installed went bad they should replace it under warranty.
    However, don't rule out a falling water table. I have a system with a 40 foot well serving my sprinklers. My neighbor put in a 60 foot well with a 1 1/2 horse submersible pump and a heap of sprinkler zones. During the dry season his pump lowered the water table down so low my system acted just like yours. So you can't rule that out. In the mean time contact your builder and have the system checked. Please keep us informed. Good luck, Tom
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2004, 07:43 AM
    Thinking some more about this and remembering problems in the past, check the intake side. Tom is right about the possibility of no water to pump. Even if you have water at the suction end, the slightest leak on the suction side will keep the pump from moving any water. Since air is going in, you won't see any water coming out when the pump is running. If the hurricane damaged the intake as well as outlet piping, the warrantee won't cover it.
    cbsarge Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2004, 05:57 PM
    The people that installed the system came out and took care of it.

Thanks for the help!
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2004, 07:30 PM
    Thank you for letting us know the problem is solved.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No hot water in shower but plenty of hot water at sink! [ 14 Answers ]

undefinedundefined Two days ago, both of the showers in my home stop having hot water. I have very hot water in the sinks in the bathrooms. The shower doesn't get but lukewarm. One showe in the spin dial to adjust the temp and turn on the shower. The other is a spin dial for temp and has a facet...

Water tank height versus water pressure [ 3 Answers ]

I'm not a physicist so I need your help. I live in Mexico. We have a water tank sitting on the roof - there is no pressure pump. The water pressure in the house is very low. Is there a rule of thumb (for the common man) that will tell me how how much pressure increase will result from raising...

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

View more questions Search