Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2011, 08:49 AM
    Seeing power
    Is there a way to set something up at breaker box so as to have visual aid to let me know when I have power from electric company with main breaker in the off position.

Do to power outages have to use a generator at times. When doing this I shut off main breaker so as not to cause a back feed when power comes back on. I know that I can use a transfer switch but am trying to keep cost at a minimum.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Chuck
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2011, 08:58 AM
    I'm in NY and laws/regulations might differ but I have a whole house, automatic generator and a red light which goes on when the power is turned back on.

Electrician installed it so that's about all I know!

(My generator shuts off automatically when power comes back on so I don't quite know the point of the light.)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 28, 2011, 09:08 AM
    I believe you will find by code you have to use a transfer box to legally tie a generator into your house electric
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2011, 04:58 AM
    Choosing to not have either a circuit breaker interlock kit, manual or automatic transfer switch and only relying on opening the Main Breaker to connect a generator to any panel or electric service is a violation of the National Electric Code, every state and local Code, and requirement of every electric utility.

Any death or injury caused by willfully ignoring this requirement can be subjected to criminal and civil laws and penalties.

Only in the case of needing power for a medical condition, you may connect a generator and shut off the Main and contact the electric utility to inform them of the condition.

There is no legal, safe, or otherwise allowed method to have indication of utility power restored, other than using an automatic transfer switch.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2011, 07:00 AM
    You have an illegal installation. Install the proper transfer or interlock equipment.
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2011, 07:08 AM
    I thank you for your response. I know that it is not the right way to do it and was only looking for a way to indicate that power was restored to area.

At present am running cords to supply power to furnace, well and refrig. The furnace and well have knife switches so there is no possibility of feed back. The refrig is direct plug in.

The cost of a transfer switch is almost as much as cost of the small generator that I bought in an emergency.

Again, thanks for respond.

Chuck
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2011, 07:15 AM
    I realize money is an issue. It is for all of us. We just cannot condone the practice you use. One mistake, someone throws the Main Switch at the wrong time, and you have a serious problem on your hands.

Here is a link for a decent product, very popular, the cheapest is $159.00.

Gentran Corporation: Generator Transfer switches for home & business

Once wired in can provided proper installation of six circuits that would be on generator. The other circuits of the home will be off until utility power returns, and all those circuits will be on, giving the indication your looking for.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Dec 29, 2011, 08:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by creahands View Post
    I thank u for ur response. I know that it is not the right way to do it and was only looking for a way to indicate that power was restored to area.........

The cost of a transfer switch is almost as much as cost of the small generator that I bought in an emergency.
    We constantly hear every excuse justifying this type of ILLEGAL and DANGEROUS installation/procedure. NONE OF THEM hold ANY water at all.

If you can't afford it just use cords only.

BTW, there are pre-made devices that indicate when power is restored.
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2011, 11:27 AM
    Tk
    I am not connecting to panel box in any manner. Everything that is running is not hooked to panel.

I have a cord from generator to refrig. Also have cord to the knife switches. At no time is any power from generator able to go into panel box.

The reason for shutting off main, was told it would reduce draw of power for electric company and give time for system to stabilize. Don't know if this is true, but have seen power go on for a short time and then go off again.

If the knife switches will cause a problem, can u explain how. At the point that I get a whole house generator (most likely this spring) I will have an electrician set it up for me. Thanks again.

Chuck
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2011, 02:02 PM
    You do not know how the knife switch is wired, it can be connected to the supply side of the Main, and just as with the Main off, someone can accidentally turn this switch on.

Even if there were two switches off, the disconnect and the Main, it is open to human error.

Look, we are not trying to beat you down, I know you provide some good answers here, so I know you are knowledgeable about wiring.

Your situation and how the wiring is arranged may be safe condition, but with this danger, it cannot rely simply on humans not making a mistake.

Since this is an open forum, we cannot condone what sounds like a potential hazard, and give the impression to others this is a good shortcut.
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2011, 05:07 PM
    Hi Tk

I know what u are saying and I agree.I will say that I have tried to eliminate human error.

The knife switches are wired as follows. Left position power from panel box, center position no power, right position power from generator. The switches are marked to read panel box, off and generator.

As I stated earlier this will all be changed in the spring when I get the whole house generator.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2005 Chevy Tahoe Passenger Power Windows and Both Power Seats not Working [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2005 Chevy Tahoe. The passenger side windows stopped working and both passenger and driver power seats stopped working. All of this happened at the same time. I saw this same problem posted by another user back in January but I didn't see a clear answer. Does anybody know how to fix...

16V ~1000ma power supply to power an aplliance that requires a 14V ~800ma help? [ 3 Answers ]

Can I use 16V ~1000ma power supply to power an aplliance that requires a 14V ~800ma power supply nomally? I have been told that it should be possible and not create any problems. Please help the lead I require will not be here in time and I need something to do the job immidieately! Thank you for...

Energy, power latent heat - data analysis - power storage systems [ 33 Answers ]

1. One possible design for a storage power station is to use off-peak energy to compress air into a sealed underground canve and then, during periods of high demand, to reverse the system so that the air can drive a generator. one system of this type compresses air from the atmospheric pressure...

Difference between a Power Distribution Unit (PDU) and a Remote Power Panel (RPP) [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any difference between a Power Distribution Unit (PDU) and a Remote Power Panel (RPP) in context of data center? If yes, then what is it?. Thanks.

View more questions Search