Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jetcal1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2011, 06:20 PM
    If one phone line is broken do all phones lose dial tone?
    We have DSL, but no dial tone. There is one wire that ran to an outside wall that might have been disturbed by contractors replacing the siding.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2011, 05:28 PM
    Call your house with a cell or other phone and see if it rings "busy" or "rings and rings".
    If busy, the pair is shorted or a phone/device/filters is off hook, unplug every thing and try a known good phone, If it just Rings, the line is open.
    Try that first and come back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Have a dial tone but the phones do not ring with incoming calls [ 6 Answers ]

Panasonic cord-less phone Model: KX-TGA641

My phone won't get a dial tone [ 1 Answers ]

My home phone will ring if someone is calling but if I answer I get a weird vibrating noise and the speaker won't pick up my voice and I can't hear anything from the other end. My answer machine won't even pick up. It will ring but nothing else. When I press the talk button I get no dial tone. My...

No dial tone on home phones when dsl high speed modem and wireless router is on [ 2 Answers ]

Using D-Link wireless router as gateway. My DSL modem connects to the wireless router I can get only dial tone and receive and make calls from my HP All-In-One Fax/Phone system when turned on. It is connected via a phone jack spliter that my DSL modem is attached to.

No dial tone with Verizon new phone line [ 8 Answers ]

Hey everybody how's it going? I'm having a problem with a new phone line I ordered from Verizon. There is no dial tone even though they said that the service has been established. I've done the NID test and there is no dial tone from the NID, so I think the problem is there. I think I've...

Phone Line No Dial Tone, But Works with incoming calls [ 4 Answers ]

I hope someone here can help me with this. I have only one phone line at home,Verizon landline, with a regular phone connected to a wall, and a panasonic cordless 5.8ghz phone with extra handset. Everything works fine 95% percent of the time but 3 times in the last month when I wake up in the...

View more questions Search