Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    makebaby6 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2007, 09:55 AM
    Abandonment and termination of rights
    :confused: I have a three year old child who has only seen her biological father 5 times in her life. She has no idea who he is and to make matters worse the last time he did see her was a year ago. What criteria needs to be met for me to file to treminate his parental rights under abandonment? He has never paid child support. Like I said he has only seen her 5 times and that was for about 1 hour at a time with months in between his visits and he moved 500 miles away from her when she was only 3 months old. He recently voiced his desire to get custody of her to a mutual friend but never followed up on it. He has also not made any attempt to find out how she has been for the last year or asked to visit. Do I have any recourse to terminate his parental rights?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2007, 10:01 AM
    Hello make:

You can't make him give up his rights, just like nobody can make you give up yours. You can APPLY to have his rights removed. You CAN make him pay child support too, and I would. What?? You can affford to give away $20,000?? Besides, it's not YOUR money! It's your daughters.

In fact, you may be able to accomplish BOTH of those things in ONE court hearing. But, you're going to need a lawyer.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bio-Father wants rights after abandonment [ 3 Answers ]

I had a daughter with this guy that never wanted her. He even said that she was not his. I told him to take the paternity test and he did'nt want to. So now 3 years later, he has another family and want's to take the paternity test, and wants visitation rights. I already went on with my life, met...

Termination of parental rights [ 1 Answers ]

I was served a citation for termination of my parental rights today and was needing to know that if I do not volontarily give up my rights would the judge grant my ex and her husbands request. My children our 14 and 16. I have not played a big factor in their lives due to alcohol abuse and being in...

Termination of Parental Rights [ 7 Answers ]

Can a parent terminate their parental rights so they don't have to pay child support?

Voluntary termination of parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I just want to know how my husband can do to relinquish his parental rights over his daughter , we have been married for 7 years he recently told me he has a 1 year old daughter Its been hard for me to cope with this problem at first I tought the best thing to do was try and get visitation...

View more questions Search