Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    P1034811 Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Dec 27, 2011, 10:09 AM
    Which university offers a bachelors course on the philosophy of design?
    I have studied graphic design and visual arts in college, as well as philosophy (mostly pertaining to Aesthetics, Beauty and Art) so I am looking to enroll in a university course that can meld the two disciplines together. What I mean specifically is a course pertaining to the 'why's' of design. For instance, what differentiates art from design, how semiotics play a part, the evolution of visual language and how it works.

I am truly passionate about this and hope someone will respond to my question soon!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 27, 2011, 10:19 AM
    If you have a bachelor's degree, why not go to a grad school level, such as this at Harvard: Harvard Graduate School of Design - Homepage

If you want only one course (or more likely more than one), your best bet is to go to your public library and ask for help at the reference desk. They will show you guide books and perhaps databases of U.S. and even world colleges/universities, narrowing it to design programs and specific courses. I don't know if you want something close to where you live, want to do coursework online, or are willing to relocate, but starting at the library might give you something to chew on, information on costs, and the ability to compare courses.

Dec 27, 2011, 10:32 AM
    Wondergirl:
    I don't have a bachelor's degree yet; I'm hoping to get one in the course I mentioned above. I have only graduated with a diploma in Visual Communications and Graphic Design as well as reasonable O' Levels results (mostly distinctions with one B), so I am hoping to find a suitable university for myself. Unfortunately, I do not live in North America, so my local library does not offer such advisory services. However, I do not mind relocating in the least for the sake of education.
    At any rate, Harvard sounds quite... out of reach, no? The course in question is for people who already have a degree in a design-related field. I'm more keen to look at design as a whole through the lens of philosophical inquiry.

Thanks anyway!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 27, 2011, 10:36 AM
    I wasn't suggesting Harvard specifically, but was hoping you'd notice that such programs do exist and that coursework like you want is probably available. You might do well to find an online course or two. Have you considered that, or do you want an entire program or just additional coursework (electives?) leading to a degree?

Dec 27, 2011, 10:43 AM
    I see, well I too expect (or hope!) that such a specific course exists, but am clueless as to which institute offers it as a Bachelor's Degree course in itself. I've been trying to search it up online but what I've found so far are courses pertaining to philosophy in general or the philosophy of art (not design). Yup, I'd rather go through a cohesive program that earns you a degree though.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 27, 2011, 11:06 AM
    I'm still not clear if you want a course (self-limited for a 16-week term) or a program (one to two years). Would this BE the degree or be only a small part of it?

Dec 27, 2011, 11:13 AM
    Wondergirl:
    Oh sorry! I meant it as a program - A year (or however many) long program regarding Philosophy of Design, at the level that earns one a Bachelor's Degree in the subject. I think I've used course and program interchangeably, oops!

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for trying to help. :)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 27, 2011, 12:04 PM
    May I ask where you live? Many public and university libraries offer an email reference service. If you don't come across one, I will find one for you. You could ask your question that way. I'm retired so don't have resources at my fingertips any longer, but have many librarian friends (of course) who would be willing to help.

Could you write a pithy, comprehensive question of what you want to find out, so I know the details are from you and not my interpretation of what you are possibly thinking?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 30, 2011, 06:57 AM
    OP mentioned O levels so assume he is in the UK. I think a wander through a community college for a year or so would be beneficial to getting his feet wet into just about anything he desires to do, and go on from there. Also traveling, visiting various universities in Europe would be a good start as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inexpensive university that offers online masters degree program in telecommunication [ 2 Answers ]

Do you know of any inexpensive university that offers genuine masters degree program in telecommunication?

Is a bachelors degree from antlantic international university legal? [ 1 Answers ]

Is a bachelors degree from Atlantic international university legal?

Plastic Product design, Mold design, Plastics, [ 2 Answers ]

What are all the precautions needs to be taken during Nylon molding?

View more questions Search