Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    notreally Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2011, 02:56 AM
    Just Been Served
    My roommate was served with judgement papers for an outstanding debt. She only works part time and des not have any means of paying this judgement off before the court date. Does she has any options to get out of this without having her credit affected?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 27, 2011, 04:13 AM
    First, you need to be clear on what exactly she was served with. Judgment papers implies that a judgment has already been awarded to the plaintiff in a law suit. Generally, one isn't' "served" with such. It could be a summons notifying her that a suit has been entered against her. That sounds more likely if there is a future court date. However, generally a court date is not set until the defendant responds to the summons. So you need to determine what it actually is.

Second, in either case, if it has gone as far as being sued her credit is already in the tank.

Finally, any chance on getting out of it depends on what it is, whether she actually owes the debt, who is suing etc. So more info is needed to help.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 27, 2011, 07:57 AM
    I will start somewhere else first. Her credit is already ruined, since she has a debt that is past due and would have been reported to collections. This will make it worst, but will only be part of what should already be a bad credit score.

Next as Scott said, she would have been served notice of a hearing, where you can go and dispute the amount owed.
    Then if you lose a judgement will be issued.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Not served [ 1 Answers ]

I found out last week that my checks were being garnished when I went to look up my check stub online. I called my payroll dept because I hadn't received any paperwork, hadn't been sued or even served by anyone. All they had that it was a company called LRS, and in the amount of $653.69. I asked...

Served [ 1 Answers ]

I have been served court judgement for a credit card, I can, t pay, ask for answer as well served attorney, should I have to meet creditor or Send a written answer. Please answer

Got served [ 3 Answers ]

I was served papers to respond within 20 days or court will proceed without me. I did with a paralegal who responed to the court and the banks lawyer. Question is , can they still come to the house and take things for fair market value ? My wife couldn't pay the van no more and they auctioned it...

View more questions Search