Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    purfact Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2011, 11:37 AM
    Selling part of replacement stock at a loss from old wash sale
    If I own stock that was a wash sale [original wash buy was 100 share after selling multiple some at loss some at gain] 100 shares was divided into 2 lots 75 and 25 with different cost basis, if I sell 1 of these lots, will it add the loss to the other lot or will it be considered a tax loss.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 26, 2011, 02:27 PM
    It CAN be considered a tax loss, as long as the stock is not re-purchased within 30 days.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wash sale stock [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2000 stock bought in April 2005 at $ 2, this company is now $ 0.22. What are the rules for a wash sale of this stock. Thanks

Wash Sale in stock trading [ 2 Answers ]

I wanted to find out if the following scenario will be considered a wash sale. Let's say: Lot#1: You first buy 500 shares at $4 per share. Lot#2: A week later you buy 500 shares of the same stock at $3 per share Lot#3: A week after that you buy 1000 shares of the same stock at $2 per share ...

Multiple stock trades within a month and wash sale rules [ 2 Answers ]

I bought some stock through employee stock purchase plan (ESPP) on Dec 1st, 2008. I sold these stocks on Dec 5th for a modest profit. Then on Dec 8th I sold some stock from my old ESPP offerings to book long term capital loss. Since I have no long term gains this year, I plan to offset my short...

Wash Sales! What to add to Cost Basis of Replacement Stock [ 3 Answers ]

So far here's what I know about wash sales. If you sell a stock at a loss and buy the same or similar stock within 30 days, its considered a wash sale. The loss you incurred from the sale gets added to the cost basis of the new replacement stock you purchased. This is easy enough if you bought...

View more questions Search