Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mmartinez3713 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2011, 10:36 AM
    HELP : Not at fault car accident
    My husband was is a terrible car accident on Dec 5 which cause lots of injuries he broke almost every bone in his body and so did the other driver we are fully covered with both medical and car insurance I have taken every step to getting his car paid for and evan hiring a lawyer to go after for loss of wages and for medical cost but the other driver was only 17 and the car she was driving did not belong to her nor did she was any coverage or did the person who's care it belonged to what is my next step I don't know what to do. It is christmas and everyone is on vacation and I'm worried about bill that are starting to roll in what should I do ?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2011, 10:45 AM
    You have an Attorney. It's inappropriate and foolish for anyone to offer other than blanket information.

I'm an accident investigator in NY. Your Attorney's office (presumably) is closed today. The US Post Office is not delivering mail. You won't receive any bills today.

When you DO get a bill, depending on your understanding and/or agreement with your Attorney, you either submit it directly to YOUR no-fault carrier (which pays your medical bills) OR send it to the Attorney to handle.

In NY - where I am - you won't get a bill because the medical providers are billing no-fault direct. If there is an error you give the provider YOUR insurance information and they bill the company DIRECT.

Prescriptions? Very occasionally the no-fault carrier will provide you with info so they are paid for directly by the carrier. The usual practice is to provide the info (a copy of the prescription and a receipt) to YOUR insurance carrier, and you will be reimbused.

Concerning medical bills in general - YOUR no-fault insurance pays. Hers has nothing to do with it.

YOUR no fault also pays your husband's lost wages - you don't need an Attorney to file for benefits.

All States have a time frame within which the accident MUST be reported to YOUR company. I trust your Attorney has done this.

If the other car/driver had no insurance you can go one of two ways - uninsured motorist through SOME States OR underinsured/uninsured coverage on YOUR policy.

Bills should not be "rolling in." Notify the carriers of YOUR policy and claim info.

Every bone in his body was broken? What State, by the way?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 26, 2011, 11:26 AM
    If the driver did not have any insurance, and if the owner of the vechile did not have the car insured, there is really nothing you can do. You can win a 2 million dollar claim but if they people have 300 dollars in the bank, you may get 200 dollars a month for the rest of your life.

Also you would have unisured coverage but normally that is a limited amount 50,000 or 100,000 dollars.
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2011, 11:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    If the driver did not have any insurance, and if the owner of the vechile did not have the car insured, there is really nothing you can do. You can win a 2 million dollar claim but if they people have 300 dollars in the bank, you may get 200 dollars a month for the rest of your life.

Also you would have unisured coverage but normally that is a limited amount 50,000 or 100,000 dollars.

- And I JUST saw an umbrella (coverage) get pulled into the mix.

I just read this over again - is OP asking about no fault insurance (which was my knee jerk reaction) OR an accident where the husband was NOT at fault - ?

If I get that info I can give a better accident - also need the name of the Country or State.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 26, 2011, 11:58 AM
    Yes, not sure of the insurance coverage, I am assuming the other people are at fault. But the OP needs to be a little more clear.

But if the other people don't have insurance and don't have money there is nothing that can really be done to them.
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2011, 12:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Yes, not sure of the insurance coverage, I am assuming the other people are at fault. But the OP needs to be a little more clear.

But if the other people don't have insurance and don't have money there is nothing that can really be done to them.

- Right. In NY you can get a judgment resulting from an uninsured MV accident and that causes DMV to revoke the person's license.

That uninsured person then continues to drive, now uninsured and unlicensed.

Sigh.

Dec 26, 2011, 09:03 PM
    I am in TN he was not at fault she hydroplaned and hit him head on

Dec 26, 2011, 09:04 PM
    We live in TN and she was at fault
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2011, 07:22 AM
    TN IS a no fault State - my advice is sound.

You are not understanding me. No Fault Insurance is a type of motor vehicle insurance. Some States have no fault insurance; others do not. No Fault simply means that no matter WHO IS AT FAULT your own auto insurance pays YOUR medical bills.

When I say you, of course, I mean you or your husband - in this case.

You don't pay the medical bills and get reimbursed; you don't submit the medical bills to your health insurance carrier; you don't sue the other driver for your medical bills. They are billed directly to the insurance company. IF you have submitted the Notice of Claim within the mandatory time frame (often 30 days) it's automatic. Motor vehicle accident bills are specifically excluded from MOST health insurance policies.

Fault for the accident is a completely separate thing. If your husband is 100% responsible for the accident (and I understand he is not) your no-fault motor vehicle insurance STILL pays all his medical bills.

Pain and suffering would be covered by the other vehicle and would involve a claim and possibly a lawsuit.

I'm not sure you understand what I'm saying and I know it can get confusing. Do you understand me?

When you say "no fault for accident" I can't tell if you are asking about insurance coverage OR responsibility for the accident.

How is your husband recuperating? Is he doing well?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car accident, husband's fault/my car... other people not insured [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My husband was at fault (failure to yield) in a car accident (I am the owner) the other people do not have insurance. My insurance will cover my husband only $5,000 for property damage... damage is about $8,000 to their car. Almost 2 weeks later, passenger and driver of other car claiming...

No Fault car accident [ 3 Answers ]

I was driving down hill in the rain following the flow of traffic, I could see a lady standing in the crosswalk wait to cross, the van in front of my taped their brakes in which I braked to slow, the front vehile kept going them stopped, I then braked and stopped but I sled into the van their were...

Determining accident fault? -my parked car involved in multi car parking lot accident [ 15 Answers ]

What happens in a parking lot accident scenario: Car 1 driving (fast) hits Car 2 that is backing out of the parking lot. Car 2 because of the impact now hits Car 3 and Car 4 which were parked to Car 2s' left and right respectively. I have Car 5 and was parked to Car 3's left. My car (Car 5)...

Not at fault car accident [ 6 Answers ]

My car was hit by another car at an red signal while I was waiting. The other car hit me from rear side. Insurance company is paying the damage as applicable, however on renewal of policy they took off my NCB (no claim bonus). I had discussion with agent that it is not fair when I was not at fault,...

Car accident not at fault [ 5 Answers ]

Hello I need advise please. I was involved ina car accident 2 months ago. It was not my fault . On the day of the accident I had my 22 month old son with me t,he paramedics arrive but I refuse to go to the hospital because I didn't have any insurance. Also I had just purchased that car and I was...

View more questions Search