Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alexander100 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2011, 01:29 PM
    Gay friend in love with me (straight guy) or not?
    I recently started working at a new lawfirm, and at this office I have a gay colleague who works with me. As we work toghter we started talking and became friends. Other than the difference in our Sexual prefrance we have a lot in common. However he does stuff to make me feel uncomfortable. He always notices what I wear, how I look and will comment, usually positive. He will text me often. He notices weird things like that I have a broad chest and "nice long fingers" and says I have a cute toes (wtf). He often makes sexual jokes with me like saying; I should realise sex is sex it doesn't matter where it comes from! Sometimes his sexual jokes get practical like him hitting my ***, he even tried climbing on me once!
    He even made the joke once of climbing on his knees and asking me to **** him, in front of a group of people! He is a bit of a over the top and theatrical so I don't know if this is normal for him. As I only know him for a year.
    When I told him I'm not cool with that he just ignored it and laughed it off.
    He asks others questions about me, mostly esspesialy if their sure I'm not bi sexual or gay, with him knowing I'm in a longtime relathionship with my girlfriend and have no interest in men! The last thing he does is he keeps on searching for simularities between us , saying things like see himself in me! And he can't help but feel like his soul can relate to me. As I have never had a gay mate or any real interaction, I don't know if this is normal behavior or not! And if not what do I do, when he knows I'm straight... When talkings clearyly not working? And I can't really ignore the guy... We are forced to work toghter
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 25, 2011, 01:52 PM
    First of all - it's sexual harassment, no matter how much he (or you) smile and laugh. Why are you putting up with it? Aside from insulting you as a person, he is disrespectful.

No, it's not normal behavior. I would assume this behavior happens in the work place and you aren't involved with him socially.

I'd tell him you aren't interested - and I'd tell him loud and clear. This behavior from a straight person would be no less offensive.

My next stop would be at the Managing Partner's office.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 25, 2011, 02:41 PM
    I would publicly tell him that he is to stop at once and such behavior is not acceptable office behavior. And as mentioned either HR or the partner in charge would be the next stop, I am sure they are familiar with sexual harassment law suit and they are very open for one.
    DeadDonkey Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2011, 08:51 PM
    Well, if you really find it that uncomfortable, and he's being that inappropriate, tell him to stop.
    Complimenting your clothes, how you look, and texting you etc, aren't really all that big a deal, or that uncommon. I'm gay and I notice every little thing about a guys appearance (yeah, including fingers), and I text people constantly.

But if he's actually sexually harassing you, you can tell him to stop. I really don't know if he likes you or not, but if I'm honest I notice those things and act inappropriately sometimes around straight guys I have no real interest in. It isn't personal, but you learn early on that its futile to start caring about someone who's straight.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 25, 2011, 08:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadDonkey View Post
    Well, if you really find it that uncomfortable, and he's being that inappropriate, tell him to stop.
    Complimenting your clothes, how you look, and texting you etc, aren't really all that big a deal, or that uncommon. I'm gay and I notice every little thing about a guys appearance (yeah, including fingers), and I text people constantly.

But if he's actually sexually harrassing you, you can tell him to stop. I really don't know if he likes you or not, but if I'm honest I notice those things and act inappropriately sometimes around straight guys I have no real interest in. It isn't personal, but you learn early on that its futile to start caring about someone whos straight.
    But it is harassment and that is the issue, If this was a straight man, saying or doing this to a women, she would have had the lawyer filing a law suit long ago. Being gay is not an excuse to behave improperly
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2011, 08:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    But it is harassment and that is the issue, If this was a straight man, saying or doing this to a women, she would have had the lawyer filing a law suit long ago. Being gay is not an excuse to behave improperly
    Got to spread the rep... this is spot on.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2011, 09:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadDonkey View Post

But if he's actually sexually harrassing you, you can tell him to stop. I really don't know if he likes you or not, but if I'm honest I notice those things and act inappropriately sometimes around straight guys I have no real interest in. It isn't personal, but you learn early on that its futile to start caring about someone whos straight.

Acting inappropriately by your own admission IS sexual harassment.

Texting people "constantly" is also harassment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am gay guy in love with my straight best friend. [ 5 Answers ]

I am a guy in love with my best very straight friend. I constantly think and dream about him. He has a girlfriend for almost 4 years now and is wanting to propose to her. I struggle with the idea that I might never see him again. He doesn't know I am gay. I always act straight around him and...

Gay guy falling in love with straight guy [ 11 Answers ]

So I've been working with this guy for about year and half. He's has with two kids with his live-in girlfriend. I'm a single gay. Everyday at work, we flirt a lot, he tells me that he loves me, he tells me that I'm cute, he's even asked me if I wanted to see his penis. What does this mean? Is...

Gay guy in love with straight married guy [ 4 Answers ]

So he's married and I'm in a relationship with a great guy. Both of us met at work and although we both love our partners, neither of us seem particularly satisfied in our relationships. We started hanging out and before I knew it, we were bonding very quickly. It is obvious to anyone who see us...

Do you know any straight guy falling in love with a gay guy? [ 8 Answers ]

I would like to know if there is any straight guy falling in love with a gay guy? If so, how was it possible? Can a straight guy do so?

Another gay man in love with straight guy? [ 13 Answers ]

Ok... I am going to write about something that is driving me crazy and is so weird and strange its unbelivable. I am a 37 gay man and in love with another man which I work with. This other man has been around the block a few times and has vast experience in life, work and love. He has travelled...

View more questions Search