Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ian814 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2011, 10:15 AM
    Changing custody
    My kids mother needed me to take my kids over a year ago .what was supposed to be 6 mo and she has me on child support ,but I have my kids with me and my wife . How do I file for full custody of my children or abandonment?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 25, 2011, 10:49 AM
    You go to Court and file a Petition for custody. You also request that the mother pay child support.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 25, 2011, 12:47 PM
    First its not a good idea to piggyback your question on someone else's. This can lead to confusion. You should start a new thread. So I've moved your question to its own thread.

No, you don't "file" for abandonment. You should have filed immediately for a change of custody. You do so ASAP by going to your local Family Court and, as Judy, suggested, file for child support from the mother.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 25, 2011, 01:25 PM
    I hope or assume you are paying support even with the kids living with you, you owe it and it will be held against you.
    If you did not go to court and get the child support changed when the kids came to live with you, if there is still a court order in place, it has to be paid, regardless of where the kids actually are.

But yes, you file a motion in court to modify the existing child custody agreement. The mother not returning would be one of the grounds for it. In addition you file to have the child support order modified.
    Tarajio Posts: 19, Reputation: -6

Dec 25, 2011, 08:30 PM
    Take it to Court.
    Keep all absolute proof (that proves without a single doubt) to the Courts of you having the kids - and what you've paid.
    Get yourself a GOOD reputable lawyer !
    Tarajio Posts: 19, Reputation: -6

Dec 25, 2011, 08:33 PM
    Oh.. forgot to mention.. your Court determined child support, payable to your ex, will continue to run & mount up until you get a Court of Law to legally change it. AND, she can file on you for not paying it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support changing due to Child custody changing [ 4 Answers ]

I am asking this on behalf of my friend in a big dispute right now. We live in Iowa. She used to joint custody of her children (although the exhusband never saw them at all). She worked full time in lending for years. She remarried. She had more children with her new spouse so in 2006 she quit her...

Changing custody [ 2 Answers ]

I Need To Know How To Get Custody Of My 2 Girls. My X Was Given Physical Custody, And Me Joint Custody. They Were With Me For The First One And A Half Years After She Left For Another Man. They Do Not Want To Live With Her, And Problems Arrised. They Have Been Kicked Out Of The Home Three Times,...

Changing custody [ 1 Answers ]

I want to go back to court to gain full custody of my 6 and 4 year olds. My ex and I went to court 2 years ago and he was given physical custody based on the fact that he had them for seven months and that I live 2 hours away. My ex has had multiple roommates the whole 2 years and has had his...

View more questions Search