Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luckygreen Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2004, 06:09 AM
    Adware
    I have some adware in write protected files. I disabled the restore system function and started in safe mode and let the virus software (latest version of Mcafee) try to delete them, and also tried manually. I also disabled all start up applications. The only thing that changed when I started in safe mode is the reject message "cannnot delete write protected files" to " cannot delete the files may be in use". What should I try next? The names of these things are Ad Clicker BA, Genuin Downloader, Adware IE Search Bar, Dialer 185, and Adware DFC.

By the way, I am on Windows ME.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2004, 07:17 AM
    Adware
    Hi,
    Your Antivirus Program will not delete or find these problems for you, because they are not viruses... they are Trojans... or more simply, spyware and advertising programs that have made their way into your computers Registry from the web.
    There is only one way to rid your computer of them;
    Here are two great, free, programs, that will scan your computer, then you can safely delete this spyware/advertising program stuff.

Spyware/Advertising ware removal

http://www.security-related.com/download2.htm
    Download: SpyBot Search & Destroy; 1.3

AdAware at:
    www.lavasoftusa.com
    Download: AdAware_SE

Every computer in the world should be using the above 2 programs. It is even on the National Network TV news...
    Best wishes,
    fredg

Nov 14, 2004, 12:49 PM
    Thanks fredg,

I did not mention it, but I did use the spybot 1.3 and adaware programs. Spybot does not recognize them, and adaware found them, but cannot delete them. It says because they may be in use. This is why I disabled all startup apps, disabled restore, and started in safe mode. I still can't get rid of them manually or by the software I have.
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Nov 14, 2004, 01:24 PM
    Okay... what you need to do is create a DOS boot disk -- what windows calls a "startup disk." You can do that in the add/remove programs applet in your control panel.

Once it boots you into dos, you will be able to navigate to the location of those files, and delete them. However, it's possible that deleting them might cause "undesired" effects if they are also required for other functions -- like starting your operating system.

Good luck,
    ~psi42
    urmod4u Posts: 248, Reputation: 4

Nov 14, 2004, 01:57 PM
    Fred, you are again talking nonsense. If his McAfee told him about them, then McAfee is OK for it. If McAfee cannot remove them because they're in use or write-protected, then no other program will be able to do it.
    Luckygreen: to remove them, you have to remove the write-protection.
    It's in the "properties" of the file itself (right click on the file's icon - uncheck "read-only"). Then you will be able to delete those files.

Nov 14, 2004, 06:33 PM
    urmod4u- thanks for your reply. However, the file did not have read-only checked. It would not allow any changes to it.

I followed PSI42s suggestion then and it worked. I had a problem in the beginning on how to type up the code to delete the file, but after number of tries, I got it right. I would also like to let everyone know that two of the 10 files that I deleted changed its name after I attempted to delete it. It did this when I typed in the command to delete it, and to my amazement, it said file not found. I went back to look for the file and a zero was added to it. The old name was A0000950 in the restore\temp folder and then changed to A0000950.0. Spybot, Adaware, and Mcafee virus scan gave my computer a clean bill of health.

Thanks everyone for your help.
    Une_Quidam Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2005, 04:14 PM
    Eh, I feel bad for doing this, I feel like such a fool compaired to the rest of you... I need help badly, the same problem actually as posted earlier. I have been trying my hardest to delete a file, either 'write-protected' or 'in use'. I have read and tried your suggestions but some I really can't figure out, and what I mean there is psi42's post. I would do that but I wish I new how. I'm not very good with computers, just some basics... can anyone here help me please? I need to get rid of it. Thank you for your time, and I hope one of you can help me! =(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I can't make spyware/adware go away! [ 7 Answers ]

Hi - A few days ago I accidentally clicked on a popup window while trying to click another link and immediately my computer began spewing ads... I have Microsoft AntiSpyware, Ad-Aware SE, and Spybot on my computer and I have run numerous scans and gotten rid of countless infections, but they keep...

Adware on win ME [ 2 Answers ]

I've got bargain buddy visiting but he won't go away even with adawareSE. I always get a program in my startup window NPTK with a dos icon. Ive screwed with registery and add/remove,deleted in task manager and rebooted, all for nothing. It seems to reload when I use my dialup connection. Seems...

Mediatickets /adware problem [ 7 Answers ]

I use Yahoo and spybot to check for spy and adware and both have always been clear. However, using 'pandascan' shows an 'infected' result as it scans the windows registry. It says the 'infection' is adware ,MediaTickets to be precise. The computer seems to be working fine. Do you think I...

Adware.BargainBuddy [ 18 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I did a full norton anti-virus (2004) scan and detected Adware.BargainBuddy but norton wasn't able to delete this. I also run Adaware SE and Spybot S&D and did another full norton scan but the adware still remained in my system. Could somebody help me out about this adware?...

Spyware and adware [ 1 Answers ]

It seems I have a shedload of adwware and spyware infections. They keep hijacking my home page and I'm besieged with pop-ups, all of which tell me I have adware and spyware on my PC and offering to clean it off for a price. Obviously I don't trust these pop-ups as they are adware in themselves. ...

View more questions Search