Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    irenefor Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2011, 11:03 PM
    Sue for child support. Son is 19 now. Not on birth cert.
    Looked for him for 1yrs. And I just found him. He is suing for a large sum of money. Can I get any money in the form of back child support?
    uwgcmm89 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2011, 12:14 AM
    I'm not sure where you are located or if it differs from place to place around the country, however, I know in the state of Georgia you have to file for back child support before the child turns 18.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 25, 2011, 03:12 AM
    Your question is not clear on who 'he' is who is suing or who he is suing.
    A father who isn't on the BC? First you would have to try to get the courts to force him to have a paternity test, even if you could still file for back support where you live.
    irenefor Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2011, 03:26 AM
    What iff I can get to sign the birth cert. And find out who hw is sueing?
    Can you help me find a lawyer? One that I won't have to pay up front?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 25, 2011, 05:43 AM
    First, we are not an attorney referral service. And without knowing where you are we couldn't suggest anything.

I merged your threads, if you have a follow up please use the Answer options to respond to this thread.

I agree that you question is not clear. It sounds like you looked for your son who is now 19and he is now suing. Then YOU ask if you can get back support. That makes no sense since it appears you were never the custodial parent.

So please clarify what is going on so we can try to help.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 25, 2011, 06:56 AM
    Here is what I see in this question. OP has a 19 year old son. It looks like the ex never paid child support not is on the birth certificate.

Somehow the ex is involved in a lawsuit? Op wants to cash in on that by claiming back child support.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 25, 2011, 07:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by irenefor View Post
    Can you help me find a lawyer? One that I won"t have to pay up front?
    From what we can understand regarding your legal situation, it is doubtful that an attorney would be willing to take your case without a substantial retainer. However it doesn't hurt to ask. So ask around and see what sort of fee arrangement you can negotiate. Initial counsultations are often free of charge.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 25, 2011, 07:56 AM
    And the OP will not come back and give us any real details to help.
    Where is this at, state child and mother live in. Is the child still living at home. In many cases no you can't sue now.
    Seldom do you ever see attorneys do family law cases without being paid first.
    Tarajio Posts: 19, Reputation: -6

Dec 25, 2011, 08:41 PM
    The laws differ in different State's (I don't know the law of your State).

I know of cases where it has worked for some people - they went back years & years and was allowed the money. I saw it ruin a family once.. the child was grown.. each parent remarried for years.. the one who had to come up with all the money had to divorce his wife or lose everything -- then he had to pay a ton of money for back-up-years of child support.

I've also seen it NOT work.

Contact the Attorney General in your State (it's free) and see if they can tell you the law of your State concerning this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can she sue me for back child support after she kept our son a secret for 9 years? [ 3 Answers ]

I just found out I have a son. Since then I have been paying child support as ordered and have no problem at all doing this; he is my son. But his mother is now trying to sue me for back child support from the time of birth. Is this fair? She has kept him a secret for 9 years and I have been...

On Indiana Birth Cert. But may not be bio dad and mom has left son with me. [ 5 Answers ]

My ex had a baby while we were together and I'm on the birth certificate, but no paternity test. My ex has always stated that I may not be the biological father, but I'm the only dad my son has ever known (he's 3 now). My ex left when my son was around 3 months old, but pops up from time to time to...

My husband has a child with another woman and wants to put his name on the birth cert [ 12 Answers ]

My husband recently found out through a DNA test that he has a child with his ex girlfriend(which was before we got together). She is still legally married to her first child's father, which she has been separated from for several years and when her son was born she denied a father. She named the...

View more questions Search