Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jarrishtx Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2011, 08:41 PM
    In my apartment, one telephone jack works, and the other doesn't.
    The apartment was built in 1974, and the phone wiring is showing its age. The main outlet is a mess, but it works. My ISP tech support told me that there was a problem in my phone wiring. My cheap Radio Shack wiring tester told me that it had reversed polarity, which I know is wrong and can cause problems with some phone systems. As soon as the rain stops, I will search out where the phone wires come into my apartment. Then I can start to understand how the system is wired. I have a digital multimeter. There is no attic to run the wires through, so the phone wires must go through the walls. Wish me God's Blessing in finding the problem, since the manager offers no help.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 24, 2011, 08:44 PM
    No need to wait for the rain to stop. Just go down in the basement and look for it and switch the red and green.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 25, 2011, 06:55 AM
    If one jack works, then the problem is not likely in the main terminal. Phone wiring is most often daisy chained. Which means the wiring goes from the terminal to one jack then on to the next jack and so on.

Unless you want to trace the wiring through the walls, I would just run wires from working jack along the baseboard.

Some more details about the apartment might help. Is it part of an apartment building? A multi-family home or what?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 25, 2011, 07:27 AM
    Like ScottGem mentions, Most phone wiring is Daisey chained. I Install Phone systems as well so I like to home run them all. More capabilities. I would remove both jacks and check the colors of the wires, as well as the outside box.
    With your meter, you should see 50 Volts DC on the line, the Red is Negative and the Green is positive. As mentioned, reversing at the jack will correct the reverse polarity.
    Good Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Telephone Jack Has no connection [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to hook my satellite up to a phone jack so I can order movies. I have a phone jack right by my TV but it has no activity going to it. I took the face plate and I have blue, blue/white, green, green/white,brown, brown/white, orange, orange/white wires that are not connected SO WHERE DO...

How do I split one telephone jack into two [ 3 Answers ]

I want to connect my phone and now an answering machine to the same jack. Is there such a thing as a line splitter

Telephone Biquit Jack [ 1 Answers ]

The jack is a bisquit jack that has a red, black, green and yellow terminal. The jack is a RJ11 jack but I need to know which termials to use to wire up the phone line. I have the two hot wires from the phone company but I need to know which termials by color to use.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

How to rewire a telephone jack [ 1 Answers ]

Have two lines but only one of them has ADSL. Computer is close to jack connected to line without ADSL. How can this jack be rewired for the line with ADSL? Thanks.

Telephone jack not working [ 5 Answers ]

Hello. I need some help. I live in a 2 bedroom apartment and the phone jack in one of the bedrooms does not work. Meaning it has no dial tone. I did some surfing around trying to find out what is going on. My initial suspicion was that the previous tenant had a second line in that room so I was...

View more questions Search