Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    murph Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Nov 14, 2004, 02:25 AM
    Web site referrals questions...
    Can someone explain the how's and why's of websites referring you to another site. A hypothetical example - I decide to search Google using my keywords and up pop the results. I browse through and reach page 2 of Google's search results.
    "O great...." - I see a result - just what I was looking for. I click the link and "...hang on; what's this? This is something else completely different. It looks like some inferior search engine type page - never even heard of it..."
    Is the page that Google cached actually available? Is this a set-up by the "search engine" site owners to increase traffic? It's a nuisance and half these sites are dodgy as well. Is there software available to prohibit your browser from "referring" you to these sites? Or is there anything else that can be done...
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2004, 07:30 AM
    Search Engiines
    Hi,
    Do you have any spyware/advertising programs you run a scan of your computer with?
    Search Engine referrals come from Spyware.

Here are 2 great, free, programs that you can use to scan your computer, and safely delete all of this stuff:

http://www.security-related.com/download2.htm
    Download: SpyBot Search & Destroy; 1.3

AdAware at:
    www.lavasoftusa.com
    Download: AdAware_SE

I use Win98SE; and both of the above work great with it.
    Best wishes,
    fredg

Nov 14, 2004, 09:37 AM
    I use Adaware SE Pro and Ad-watch is constantly monitoring. The search site in question has something like 650 results when you ask Google to show you which pages link to it - some of these are from the same site.
    I don't think it is a Spyware thing. More than likely, the different domain names are mapped to the same IP address.
    It's a similar thing to when you try to reach a site that has been moved or closed - you usually reach the homepage of the webhost.
    You think you are going to one site but you get this ridiculous tacky websearch portal thing...
    It's not causing me any problems, it's just really annoying and I wondered if there is an app. That can recognise referral scripts before the page is loaded...
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2004, 10:35 AM
    Referrals
    Hi,
    Check out this site for O2Clean... which is, I think, what you want to download/install for these referral webpages.

http://www.nsclean.com/freebies.html

Best wishes,
    fredg

Nov 14, 2004, 12:00 PM
    Thanks fredg, I'll have a look at that link...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are You Pregnant Or Think You Are? Have Questions? Post New Questions Here.. [ 21 Answers ]

Hi and welcome to the forum. If you think you might be pregnant, or are pregnant, post your questions here, as the other thread is getting so large that it's hard to keep them organized. Also, if you are a teen and have questions and/or fears, let us know and we'll help as best as we can, or find...

Looking for a web site [ 5 Answers ]

Hello there.. I'm looking for aweb site named askme.com.. I was a member, but I became an official site for other stuff not related to answeing questions.. any 1 got an idea what happened to it?

View more questions Search