Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BarbP Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2011, 02:41 PM
    In a normal home situation should paper towels be flushed down a toilet?
    This is being done consistently and the person doing so does not believe that paper towels can clog our sewer line leading to the main sewer line in the street. Should this person be told not to flush white paper towels (like used for cleaning)?
    DaniCalifornia Posts: 655, Reputation: 152

Dec 24, 2011, 02:50 PM
    Toilet roll is made specifically to degrade quicker so it doesn't clog. Other types are not. So I'd say yes.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 24, 2011, 04:16 PM
    No it is not made to flush, they should know better so tell them.
    Xerxes12 Posts: 21, Reputation: 5

Dec 24, 2011, 04:20 PM
    Hi there, toilet paper and paper towels are made from different grades of paper. Toilet paper is made to disintegrate quickly. Paper towels are studier - some even have commericials that promote "sturdy and only one towel will do the job!" - I imagine that one will also do a job on your plumbing. I'd strongly suggest they stop flushing the paper towels.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 24, 2011, 04:50 PM
    A plumber once told me there are only three things that should be flushed. "Two of them you know, and the other is toilet paper. Do NOT flush paper towels, handiwipes/baby wipes, dental floss, sanitary napkins, kitty litter, or any kind of cloth."
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 24, 2011, 05:16 PM
    Who owns the property? That person should order this person to stop, or face a repair bill. In fact if they are renting, a warning that rent will go WAY up or the lease terminated.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 25, 2011, 06:31 AM
    Should this person be told not to flush white paper towels
    Absolutely! You've heard it from all of our experts and now you're hearing it from me. Paper towels can bunch up and cause blockages. Have this person read all our posts and if this person still flushes paper towels down the john then ban him, or her, out of the bathroom. Good luck, Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 25, 2011, 09:25 AM
    On top of all these great answers flushing paper towels down the toilet is also ecologically unsound. Paper can be recycled if you just throw it into a recycling drum.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 25, 2011, 10:42 AM
    No, paper towels should not be flushed down the toilet. Paper towels are designed to absorb water and hold it. Therefore, they will not flush down the pipe as easily as toilet paper which will disintegrate in water. Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My grandson flushed a toy into the toilet my husband took toilet off but we still ca [ 3 Answers ]

My grandson told us he flushed a toy down the toilet but we took the toilet off and cleaned it all out didn't find it so we put toilet back on and it still won't flush water comes to the top and drains slowly down but doesn't take waste out of toilet> where else could my husband look?

My face looks like I.m flushed all the time, what can I do to get it back to normal? [ 5 Answers ]

My face looks flushed all the time ,I've been to the doctor and he said its not roscea,its got something to do with my blood vessels. This is getting very stressful as I work in a busy envoirment and people are looking at me as if I have two heads,it looks as if I was out on the beer the night...

Girgling in toilet and shower when toilet is flushed [ 1 Answers ]

I had a new septic tank and leach field installed in Jan of 08. In Jan 09 we begin to notice the shower drains girgling when we flushed the toilets and also noticed septic water coming up through the ground on the lower and last run of the leach field. I discovered that my underground gutter...

Toilet rises and bubbles when another toilet is flushed during heavy rain [ 1 Answers ]

Toilet rises, bubbles and partially empties itself when another toilet is flushed. The water drains fine from the flushed toilet. House is ranch stlyle on a slab and connected to a public sewer system. The toilets are not back to back, but about 10 feet apart in two separate rooms We had heavy...

Basement toilet bubbles when upstairs toilet is flushed and washer drains. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Just recently (last few days) my toilet in the basement bathroom has begun to bubble. This is caused when one of the upstairs toilets (directly above it) flushes but not another one upstairs. It also bubbles quite rapidly when the clothes washer drains. The washer is located in the...

View more questions Search