Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DrCawthon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2011, 07:57 AM
    Would Per Diem be taxable?
    I am considering taking an IT consulting job. This job would be in Florida and I do have a home in Florida but the new assignment is about 550 miles away.

The company hiring me told I could get per diem (and some contractor friends recommended it) but I'm not sure if it would be taxable in my situation at tax-time.

They would basically be paying me $52/hour on W2 and $18/hour per diem (which is the gsa per diem allowance for the area divided by 8 hours per day). They also offered to pay me the straight $70 per hour on W2 but it seems on the surface the per diem would be the way to go if it will not be taxable.

I plan to keep my current home here in Florida but get a rental house in South Florida for the duration of the job. They state it's a 6 month contract with possibility of extending. In my situation would this per diem be considered non-taxable or should I go straight W2? Any advise is greatly appreciated!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 24, 2011, 08:21 AM
    The per diem is NOT taxable as long as the job is temporary in nature, and the IRS considers the job temporary as long as its duration is LESS than one year in length.
    Harry1018 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2012, 09:37 AM
    Only if it is paid as per IRS allowance, and if the Employer has "Accountable Plan" on place. Meaning proper reports are submitted by the employee, and this plan is for all employees not selective. If these rules are not met then the total payment will become taxable, and off-course I year rule applies.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 3, 2012, 04:56 PM
    Harry corrections are accurate. The IRS allowances are specified in IRS Pub 1542.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is per diem taxable? [ 18 Answers ]

Can someone please tell me if per diem is taxable? My brother took a job this past year and half his salary is per diem, as he travels daily. He receives a monthly expense allotment for which he submits receipts. His per diem is for meals and accommodations only. Of course, he has asked me to...

When does Per Diem become taxable? [ 3 Answers ]

When does Per Diem become taxable to a contractor? I have told it is after one year but I cannot find anywhere on the IRS web-site or in any publications.

Is Per Diem Taxable? [ 2 Answers ]

I am a contract worker who has worked and lived out of state for just over a year. I have received a per diem of 2/3's of hourly pay rate for my out of state living expenses. The W-2 that I received only reports the 1/3 that was taxed. I am responsible to pay federal tax on the per diem?

Is american per diem taxable [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I worked for an american company in europe last year,I myself am an irish citizen,I was paid per diem for the duration of the job,the irish tax system is similar that the per diem is not taxable ,can anyone confirm that the us system is the same,but because I worked for an american company I...

Taxable or non-table per diem [ 1 Answers ]

Okay, now I'm a little confused. Here is my scenario. My brother is an oil field worker who is paid hourly. He works seven days on and seven days off. He is paid a flat rate of $75.00 per diem only on the days he works (and does not have to provide receipts). His pay stub lists the per diem...

View more questions Search