Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RajRai73 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2011, 08:36 PM
    What is this vegetable called "FAPAR"
    There's a certain kind of vegetable in India and Nepal that Nepalis call FAPAR. The standard-sized plants do not grow taller than about a foot average. The plant-stems/main plants are copper to reddish-brown in colour, with sparsely spaced branches and sub branches, with angular-shaped green leaves with copper coloured veins, and mostly with reddish brown peripheral border. The flowers are light purple, pink or even white, and the fruits are dark, almost triangular or like tetrahedrons, hard, sized approx. Mung-beans, can be likened to very very small Chanaas or miniature Chick peas.
    The plants can be eaten as methi saag (Fenugreek greens)when still young and not yet flowering, but in excessive amounts, it can cause tingling of feet and loss of sensation in some parts of the soles of the feet that can radiate upwards to the hands, but usually goes away after a few hours. Harmless. But this plant is planted when the climate is not favourable for other rich crops like maize, millets etc. as this plant looks like weed, and can withstand very harsh weather conditions, especially the draught, and give the hard black seeds in time.

The seeds/fruits are dried and ground into powder and made into flat bread or hard porridge. Bland in taste, but saves lives. They are popularly cooked wrapped in big leaves after making a dough out of the Fapar flour and flattening the dough out in between leaves and then thrown into the woodfire embers.

I don't have any pictures of the Fapar plant to post, but I certainly will get some later, but for the time being, could anyone please look into this and give me an answer? Thanks.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 23, 2011, 09:29 PM
    Looks like it translates to Buckwheat.

Check here. Buckwheat (Fapar) in Nepal.

Ref:

Buckwheat in Nepal
    mega evil Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2012, 11:16 AM
    Hm..

I don't know!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

Who sang song, possibly called "forever yours", in film "the perfect storm" [ 2 Answers ]

Who sang song, possibly called "forever yours", in film "the perfect storm" and can it be bought as a cd?

Is private writing in pencil on first page in a book called "Dedication" ? [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know what is the proper name for... when somebody writes ( in pencil ) in a book a short message on the inside of the cover in which they say something like: " From Smith Family to Browns! ( dated and signed ) Paula and Paul Smith". ( Somebody told me it is a "dedication" but I have a...

Who did this song: from the 80's, probably called "typical" or "that's typical" [ 2 Answers ]

Some lyrics as I hear them: Windowsill, my elbow's numb As I heard the door go and saw your car As it glides onto the road Double wasted dumbness Sodding off and I can't hear you go And that's typical There you sit in the driving seat

View more questions Search