Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ajkmacba Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2011, 05:54 AM
    How can I stop drain leak seal? Installed new sink. Rubber seal leaks under sink.
    Used plumbing putty under drain fixture at top seal. Took out and reinstalled same problem. Does not leak when stopper is sealed for sink holding water. Can silicone be used with rubber seal where it meets bottom of sink?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 23, 2011, 06:43 AM
    Does not leak when stopper is sealed for sink holding water.
    Good! You have a good drain lip seal.
    Can silicone be used with rubber seal where it meets bottom of sink?
    Yes you can but only one of two things would cause a leak at the rubber seal.
    Either the nut wasn't tightened down tight enough or there's something built up on the sink that prevents the rubber from sealing. See if you can smooth off the bottom of the sink and try again. Good luck, Tom
    ajkmacba Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2011, 06:44 AM
    Thanks for info. I was afraid to tightened down nut with wrench, only hand tightened. There was small small "chips" around edge. Lightly sanded with very fine paper. I think the big problem was the sink was premounted and not level for the pipe to come down straight. The top of the counter was level. I worked back from wall tightening pipes and holding square and no leaks. Should I be worried about the force on the connection at seal over time holding?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 26, 2011, 06:55 AM
    If it's holding no I wouldn't worry about it failing. Good luck, n Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Just had new faucet installed and still leaks under sink? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in apt bldg and leak under kitchen sink - maintenance replaced entire faucet - it is still leaking under the sink They are saying it is coming from me splashing water around the faucet - Can't they do something to fix this like caulk or something?

How to seal corian sink? [ 1 Answers ]

I love my white corian sink, but as time goes by, it gets stained more often and is harder to get white. I use Soft Scrub and let it stay on to bleach the sink, and sometimes use Bartender's Friend on tougher stains. Does the sink need to be sealed to bring it back to its original state so it...

How to take a drain out of a bathtub to replace the rubber ring seal [ 2 Answers ]

I think the tub is leaking from the drain and waters leaking downstairs I want to replace the rubber o ring seal in the drain

I installed a tub drain kit using putty and have a leak, can I seal with silicone [ 2 Answers ]

We've replaced an old tub with a new one and put in a new drain/overflow kit using putty but have found a leak at the drain under the tub. Can we seal around the drain with silicone to stop the leak?

Toilet Drain Leak - Bad Seal? [ 7 Answers ]

My home is 5 years old - first plumbing problem. Our first floor half-bath. I noticed a mold ring forming around the base of the toilet. It's coming from underneath the flooring. No smells/odor - yet. After reading other posts - I'm going to try to remove the toilet, inspect the seal /...

View more questions Search