Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    manford Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2011, 09:42 AM
    Statue of Limitations
    I have cedit card debts that are over 2 years old, some are 4-5 years old. I have received messages from Collectors, have not answered them and have received some bills from them. These are not from the credit card company themselves, but Collectors. They have never taken me to court and have never sent any court papers. Where do I fit in with the 2 year Staute of Limitations? Can they still sue me? Thanks.
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2011, 10:10 AM
    Knowing your location will make a difference since the statute of limitattions varies. The SOL is the time that a company has to pursue legal action against you for a debt, which will date from the last activity on the account. Activity could mean the last payment, payment attempt, payment agreement, or even acknowledgment of the debt. Your creditors are not barred from trying to collect from you outside of the SOL, they simply cannot use the courts to do so. Without knowing any additional information, this is the only answer that I can offer you.
    skipper6567 Posts: 4, Reputation: 0

Dec 21, 2011, 12:45 PM
    Just a fyi. If you get served with court papers. Make sure you answer them within the time limit and also show up in court when you are scheduled!! 98% of these cases are lost by default. People just don't show and the collection/lawfirm wins. I've been through it with citibank. And capitol one. Both times I was the only defendant to show up in court out of 40+ credit card cases the clerk read off. If you show up and at least act like your going to fight till the end the chances of settling for much lower amount is pretty good. I did 18k for 4500 and 15k for 3500 with a year to pay them off no interest! there are websites just for credit card lawsuits,very helpful.good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statue of limitations [ 1 Answers ]

I recently applied credit card & now debt collectors sending me letters, demanding paymet. The statue of limitation on all my bills, credit cards and medical bills. Now that I am on Social Securty disability, I was told that they can not sue me, because the judge will throw it out. Then what...

Statue of limitations [ 3 Answers ]

What is the statue of limitations in canada on cottage dues. I wasn't Paying for particular reasons back in 2001 to end 2003 they the association have sent from a lawyer a letter I have to pay up its been 6 years.

Statue of limitations [ 1 Answers ]

If u are on probation for the state of Missouri , you have a federal inditement for caspericy to distribute marijuanna and you leave the united states, how many years will u be wanted for these crimes by the state or the federal government. How long will u have to stay out of the united states...

Statue of Limitations [ 5 Answers ]

I am currently doing a little research for something I'm writing and am trying to make sure I have the proper information. I tried looking it up myself, but I ended up getting confused and finding conflicting information. What is the statue of limitations for breaking in entering without the...

Statue of limitations [ 2 Answers ]

What is the statue of limitations for credit card debt in the state of New Jersey?

View more questions Search